Carbon resoray

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi, has anyone had a custom respray done in their carbon frame? How does it work as I take it the old paint can't be blasted off like on metal frames. What price did you pay?

Cheers

Comments

• Old paint removed e.g. by sanding, new design agreed and applied.

It can cost a few hundred quid for a complex design.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I've not had one done myself, but a club mate had his Look frame done about 7 or 8 years ago by Argos (not the catalogue company!). I think it cost around £300 including stickers.
  • Holts duplicolor, colour of your choice, tenner. Job done.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I had a 2001 Colnago C40 custom painted by Cromaworks in Sheffield. Original clear coat going hazy and in a really poor state. Hand sanded to remove old clear coat and paint then repainted with painted logo's. Cost £640, expensive but worth it as like new now.
  • been quoted £220-260 for all prep, primed, two top coats, logos hand painted and clear cot finish from maganafibre near me in Scotland
  • It's not cheap, and you're likely to have to go on a waiting list for some of the better known/ skilled sprayshops. Still, hell of a lot cheaper than a new bike...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Holts duplicolor, colour of your choice, tenner. Job done.

this.

its carbon, not kryptonite. simple to work with.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Holts duplicolor, colour of your choice, tenner. Job done.

this.

its carbon, not kryptonite. simple to work with.

Agree, OK ive not done a bike by done a couple of friends drone chassis with an airbrush, Epoxy primer, duplicolor then some 2K lacquer to protect it. So far the only issues have been them crashing the things. You can skip the primer but the paint may not adhere so well, plus the primer can be used to smooth any defects.