Shortest Di2 wire

drexel1975
drexel1975 Posts: 70
edited February 2018 in Workshop
I am waiting for my new bike coming which has Di2 gearing. I want to add the D-Fly unit so that I can use my phone to adjust the gear settings. I understand that I need a Shimano EW-WU111 Wireless unit and a fly lead to attach it to the existing Di2 wiring. What is the shortest Di2 wire that I can use a the fly lead? I have seen 150mm but would prefer something even shorter as it is just for enabling the wireless unit to fit into the wiring. Baffles me why the wireless unit doesn't come with a fly lead on one end and the female port on the other.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you have internal wiring you can just hide any excess in the frame. I mounted my wireless unit inside the frame with a 600mm cable from the 3 port junction on the stem, into the frame and then a shorter 300mm cable from the unit into the junction B down by the bottom bracket.

I wrapped the unit in bike packing foam with a cable tie on each end to hold it in place and then pushed it back up the downtube from the bottom bracket opening. The foam will stop it rattling in the frame.

PP
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I put the D-Fly (WU-111) between the battery (DN110) and junc B and it works perfectly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    150mm is the shortest.

I have mine between battery and junction box B, wedged in seat tube.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I put the D-Fly (WU-111) between the battery (DN110) and junc B and it works perfectly.
    So I take it you have a wire between the battery and junction B? Do I need to remove this wire, fit into the WU111 and then run a 150mm wire to the junction B from the WU111? Trying to get everything covered in my head before the bike arrives.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    You need one extra 150mm wire to integrate the unit into the system.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • The DFly can sit anywhere in the loop. I used mine to couple two longer wires together in the downtube.

But yes, I think 150 is the shortest wire they do...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    drexel1975 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    So I take it you have a wire between the battery and junction B? Do I need to remove this wire, fit into the WU111 and then run a 150mm wire to the junction B from the WU111? Trying to get everything covered in my head before the bike arrives.

You can plug it in anywhere, all you need to put it in the ‘circuit’ somewhere is to unplug an existing cable, fit the unit into that wire and run a new, additional cable from the unit to where your original cable was plugged in. For example, unplug a lead from Junction A, plug in your sender and add a new cable from your unit to Junction A. You could do similar between battery and Junction B, or Junction A and Junction B, Junction B and front or rear derailleur etc etc. You could even plug it in between Junction A and a shifter if you could hide it in your handlebar!

PP
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

As has been answered by a few, it can go anywhere in the circuit. The point I was making, is that it doesn't have to plug into junction A as lots seem to think and suggested on some Shimano pages.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.