New bike

jupamaso
jupamaso Posts: 21
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all, writing from Canada where the winter Is long... Bit tired of the indoor trainer. Too much Time to think about about upgrading or changing my bike. Furthermore, I got an unexpected cash entry.

I have a Roubaix SL4 8r carbon, upgraded to R8000 Ultegra. I've been riding the frame 4 years. Mostly satisfied with it, but but I feel the stem is too short, something a nagging muscle Ache in my right shoulder. I havé been fitted by pros. I am thinking of going with a more agressive geometry, if possible hydraulic Discs (i lové to climb but I fear descending).

Here are the options:
1) custom Ti frame: I would swap the groupset and kit from my Roubaix to it. Don't know if there are real advantages, except durability and the custom fit. Would be my "last bike" from a reputable dealer here.
2) Cervelo r3disc 2017 (closeout sale). The price is exceptional. I rode it last summer, loved it, felt I was riding a sports car. Almost bought it, but I was afraid of the comfort for an all-day two weeks tour of the French Alpes. In this scenario, I would possibly have to sell the Roubaix, can't justify two bikes of that amount.

Not interested in the new Roubaix or the Domane, did' not like the ride.

A little bit about me: I ride 250 km per week, 50 km commute round trip, mostly flat, 2/3 Time per week. I do hilly centuries during the week-end and a few all day rides each year. I weigh 165 pounds, 5'11" and am 46. In good shape, normally flexible (I can touch my toes), no injury to speak of. Solo or small groups.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Would the R3d be confortable for all day rides? Would a custom Ti be comfortable and fast/stiff enough for my type of riding?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Comfort is a non-issue on most bikes as you can just run fat tyres at low pressure, so get the R3d.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks, the question is more about the fit/geometry of the bikes for all day ride, since i'm riding a relaxed road bike.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Well you say you want to go more aggressive, so either do it or don't. Not like the R3 is all that aggressive, and worst case just pop a couple spacers under the stem. Comfort, and especially durability, of titanium frames is vastly overstated, so in identical geos you won't feel a difference worth noting.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • As you say, the Cervelo felt great so you know how it rides (at least for short distances), and there are various ways you can make a bike more comfortable. You say you might want to tour the Alps, so a custom Ti might be better for that (although I suspect with the latest in bikepacking equipment you could do this on a CF frame as well).

If it were me, I'd go Ti, but I've never preferred CF over metal really - I've had CF frames, but now have only steel road bikes (and Alu MTB). My bike-for-the-rest-of-my-life would definitely be Ti, as I think they look better. Having said that, if money were no object I would have a superlight CF for the hills/mountains as well!

Essentially you're going to need to do a pro's and con's list - but don't forget emotion will play a big part of your decision, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If the Ti is a 'head' decision, and the Cervelo a 'heart' decision, then I think you know where you'll end up!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Ti bike for life is a urban myth. I broke 3 Ti frames, had them replaced under warranty and sold the new replacement on and bought carbon. Just do a search on problems with Lynskey Ti for instance (and my frames weren't Lynskey).
  • Thanks for the answer. I'm a bit surprised concerning the durability of Ti. The question boils to will my body be able to adapt to a new and more agressive geometry.