Tubeless on road - worth it?

lukasamdvLJ27cA7
lukasamdvLJ27cA7 Posts: 51
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hello,
I have only one, CX bike and two, identical wheelset - one for road, one for "terrain" (CX-specific).
I decided to use TL on CX wheelset - used Schwalbe X-One EVO TL and... it was great idea! Very simple, very comfortable, and tyres are great.

And... now I'm interested in use TL also on road wheelset. But.. is it worth it?
I use Conti Grand Prix 4000S II 700x28c tyres with tubes - very nice, light, fast and no punctures in about 3000 kilometers. Much, much better than Ultra Sport series (a lot of punctures and finally damaged tyre after about 500 kilometers).

I know, that these Conti tyres aren't TL-ready and consider moving to Schwalbe Pro One, or (or something other). I must buy tyres, tubeless tape for rims and valves. No sealant, because I already have. It isn't small price, so I think is to get as many information as possible.

Is it good choice to use tubless on road bike? I know about more comfort, I know about great punctures resistance but... current 700x28c tyres are also very comfortable and have no punctures. So.. what do you thing?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Yes.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Definitely worth it, i was undecided on changing over , but after fitting tubeless to one bike it was not long before all three bikes have them fitted, There’s a couple of threads about tubeless tyre just do a search, all the information you need to know about running tubeless
  • I know how to run tubeless, but looking for additional information about cons and pros.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    lukasamd wrote:
    I use Conti Grand Prix 4000S II 700x28c tyres with tubes - very nice, light, fast and no punctures in about 3000 kilometers. Much, much better than Ultra Sport series (a lot of punctures and finally damaged tyre after about 500 kilometers).

I must buy tyres, tubeless tape for rims and valves. No sealant, because I already have. It isn't small price, so I think is to get as many information as possible.

current 700x28c tyres are also very comfortable and have no punctures.

If it ain't broke...... :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D