Video Cinema-Experience Goggles for Rouvy, BKOOL, or ZWIFT, etc

Is anyone using video goggles while on their trainers with Rouvy, BKOOL, or ZWIFT? I see there is now an explosion of them on the market, from $125-$800. I'm not particularly interested in the 3D features, but basically replacing my flat screen monitor in front of me with goggles, so 2D is fine. It's basically what they call the cinema movie experience via the goggles. I am really interested in going this direction, vs. buying a 100" flatscreen monitor just for bike training. I also see there are a ton of these out there that don't require putting your phone inside of them...that's the kind I'm looking for. I'm seeing several that would work, and do not require proprietary software, and basically will connect to your phone or computer via HDMI.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Christ no. Just get a TV.

Imagine how sweaty you'd get wearing goggles ?

I find the Zwift experience enough on a fairly small pc screen. I'm going to repurpose a bigger tv when I get my garage sorted but it's all about the effort than the vision.

Have you tried Zwifting ? A 100" TV would be overkill. Spend the cash on a trip to the mountains with your bike instead.
  • Yeah, I'm not buying a 100" screen for sure. I have a 45" right not in front of my trainer. I'm inclined more toward the goggles out there that look more like sun glasses, vs. snorkeling goggles, so nothing covering your entire forehead and upper face. Actually I see now that some racing glasses are already out that are projecting power and bike data on them, transparently, like what jetfighers use. If that can be done, then why not for a trainer? The screen would just be more opaque.
  • Is anyone using video goggles while on their trainers with Rouvy, BKOOL, or ZWIFT? I see there is now an explosion of them on the market, from $125-$800. I'm not particularly interested in the 3D features, but basically replacing my flat screen monitor in front of me with goggles, so 2D is fine.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I tried a pair in a shop, cool video and effect but heavy and felt "clunky" on my face with the straps.

As far as using them for turbo training, unless all you do is potter around Watopia in Zone 1 then forget it. The biggest down side would be sweat dripping around the goggles and your eyes/face getting really hot and steamed up. Plus the weight of the things on your head. Just get a big TV and be done with it.