Craft base layer sizing

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking at the Craft Active Extreme 2.0 CN baselayer - does it come up small or large?

I'm a race-fit small in Castellii (for Gabba, Perfetto etc. Maybe a medium in the climber's jersey). The craft sizing chart is no good because it puts be spot on S for chest size but spot on XS for waist size. I'm 5'9" with 93cm chest, 28" waist, arms of a teenage girl.. ;-) Looking for a tight fit but not something that comes up above my belly button... Will be a short sleeve so arm length not important.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I'd probably try a small if I were you. I've got a medium and I'm a fair bit bigger than you (6'4", 77kg, 32 waist, 39 chest). They're fairly generous in terms of length.
  • Have a look at Prendas Cyclismo, they actually measure the garments rather than use the manufacturers details. One thing I would say is that the neck holes are a bit tight, not that that is a bad thing. They are very generous in length as had been said. The Extreme 2.0 is a good bit of kit in my opinion, warm and if it gets wet will almost dry at a café stop!
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/craf ... 8240657098
  • neeb
    Thanks both. The Prendas size guide, like the Craft one, would have me as a Small by chest size and an XS by waist size. Mayve I should try a small first.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    neeb wrote:
    Thanks both. The Prendas size guide, like the Craft one, would have me as a Small by chest size and an XS by waist size. Mayve I should try a small first.

You could always order both and send one back. Always difficult to compare clothes unless you have both sizes there at once to try one after another. It's not like it will be an expensive item to post back, those things weigh next to nothing.
  • OP it’s not exactly the same but I bought this just before Xmas https://www.merlincycles.com/craft-active-extreme-long-sleeve-base-layer-97468.html and I’m not dissimilar in shape / size (34-36 chest/ 30 waist / 5’10) and went for XS. It’s very fitted but no restrictive movement and as others have said it’s plenty long enough
  • neeb
    timbo_tim wrote:
    OP it’s not exactly the same but I bought this just before Xmas https://www.merlincycles.com/craft-active-extreme-long-sleeve-base-layer-97468.html and I’m not dissimilar in shape / size (34-36 chest/ 30 waist / 5’10) and went for XS. It’s very fitted but no restrictive movement and as others have said it’s plenty long enough
    That's very useful, thanks. Thinking about it I'm a very similar size to you - 28" is my jeans waist size but if I measure it's 30".. And usually when I've had garments that are on the too-small side the problem has been length, so if it's long enough and stretches it should be OK..
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I'm exactly same measurements as you but 1 inch shorter in height, Craft small is perfect for me.
  • neeb
    Thanks too.

Maybe both sizes would fit.. It's a stretchy thing after alll ;-)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    XS mate. I was very similar dimensions to you last autumn, and it's very fitted, but not remotely restrictive. I also fit into xs merino rapha winter base layers. Currently have one on in the alps, -12.5c outside!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Great base layer and generous in size and length, x small would probably suit best.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • neeb
    XS also easier and cheaper to get hold of - have ordered both short sleaved version and the long-sleeved one at Merlin and will report back.. :-)
  • I'm 6'4 and about 75kg, can't quite remember my chest size but wear an XS craft mesh vest and S long sleeve baselayer. The vest gradually stretches over time and is still fine, but there is a noticeable difference between an old and new one. I think that's just the nature of the mesh fabric. The LS baselayer is great, arms nice and long and fits very close but is really comfortable. I'm sure I could happily wear their S and M sizes in both but like a tighter fit if possible.
  • neeb
    So I grabbed two each of the Active Extreme 2.0 CN (short sleeve) and the Active Extreme Long Sleeve (with windstopper front panel), both in XS and both going cheap. Both are perfect - sort of body stocking-like and stretchy. Probably S would have been OK too, it would just have stretched slightly less.. ;-) But it's a gentle stretch, as others have said not restricting at all.

The Active Extreme Long Sleeve is generously long (perfect length for me really), but interestingly the Active Extreme 2.0 CN is even longer, bordering on excessively long even in XS. Of course it doesn't matter as it'll be under the bib shorts but I wonder how long the larger sizes are..

Very happy with the purchases, thanks all for the advice.