5800/8000 calipers and clearance

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
My existing 6800 brakes just about allow me to fit RaceBlade long mudguards, but there's a bit of rub with the bracket under the rear brake caliper. The bracket is as flush to the underside of the caliper as it will go. Another couple of mm would give me a lot more peace of mind.

With that in mind, are the arms of 5800/8000 calipers a little "thinner", so I could move the bracket up just a smidge? I understand they have more clearance, just wondering how this was achieved.

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    My existing 6800 brakes just about allow me to fit RaceBlade long mudguards, but there's a bit of rub with the bracket under the rear brake caliper. The bracket is as flush to the underside of the caliper as it will go. Another couple of mm would give me a lot more peace of mind.

With that in mind, are the arms of 5800/8000 calipers a little "thinner", so I could move the bracket up just a smidge? I understand they have more clearance, just wondering how this was achieved.

When I was trying to fit guards to sort out a winter bike I found that 105/ 5700 calipers gave more space than ultegra/6800. The metal around the two ultegra "pivots" is quite substantial and protrudes down into the mudguard space . The 5700 calipers have a conventional pivot system that allows a bit more clearance.