Cheap Chinese carbon aero bars

Philapino
Philapino Posts: 26
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Anyone bought any? Are you still alive?

Considering purchasing some cheap Chinese carbon bars but am after some advice from the people of the internet. My main worry is that they'll kill me.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You're considering purchasing something that you say might kill you?
  • Tell you what, you buy a pair, if you're still alive in 12 months time I'll buy some too.

Deal?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All the people who did buy them no longer post for some reason... Odd eh ?

TBH Carbons not my choice for bars. It's no lighter. It's a lot more expensive. Would I buy cheap chinese ones ? Noooooooo.
  • Anyone got one?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nope.

Cheap aluminium for me. No idea where they are made. Still alive though. Make of that what you will.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I bought some 5 years ago (merek), absolutely fine
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    A few years back I bought a cheap Chinese seatpost. Looked good but lasted 5 month before it snapped! - Luckily for me at very low speed but I have not gone near anything like that since.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Kim10 wrote:
    A few years back I bought a cheap Chinese seatpost. Looked good but lasted 5 month before it snapped! - Luckily for me at very low speed but I have not gone near anything like that since.
    I had the same, turned out it was counterfeit, as long as you go for one of the chinese, taiwanese etc carbon manufacturers ie Deng Fu, far sports, merek, you should be fine, but if they're brand copies, stay well clear
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I once bought some cheap Chinese AliExpress "3T Aeronova" copy bars. At first glance they looked good. Closer inspection saw that the internal cable route finishing was rough (no cable guides either) and there was very little attention to detail on the finer areas. I could also flex them a little with my hands. Would not have trusted them to go the distance.

I never mounted them on a bike, but they made a great addition to the wall of my training room!

You pay your money (knowingly buying fakes) and take your chances...
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    I know my LBS sees quite a few broken ones that come into the shop to get replaced with better ones; I know I saw a guy on the bike path coming toward me then suddenly he was in the bushes, when I stopped and helped him I discovered that his bars had snapped and they were some cheap generic Chinese made crap. But the problem with all of those bars breaking is are the bars breaking because they are poorly made or are they breaking because of incorrect torque on the stem bolts? I have a feeling it's probably both.
  • Philapino wrote:
    Anyone got one?

Are you still asking?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    froze wrote:
    I know my LBS sees quite a few broken ones that come into the shop to get replaced with better ones; I know I saw a guy on the bike path coming toward me then suddenly he was in the bushes, when I stopped and helped him I discovered that his bars had snapped and they were some cheap generic Chinese made crap. But the problem with all of those bars breaking is are the bars breaking because they are poorly made or are they breaking because of incorrect torque on the stem bolts? I have a feeling it's probably both.

Didn’t happen.
  • Big difference with 'replicas' which is trying to rip off someone else's company and make a quick buck Vs 'own brand' Chinese bars.

Own brand bars are generally very good and if you look on other forums (weightweenies especially) they have had great results. Places like hongfu, dengfu, flyxii (or something like that) have their own QC and reputation so typically offer something similar to big brand names but without the fancy stickers or layers of middlemen.

There are lots of people out there riding no name Chinese frames, wheels, cockpits etc all made from carbon without issue. The devil is in the detail of getting a no name frame Vs a replica rip off.