Since it's almost cycling...

2»

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I hate boring, flat, sprinters' stages - what day are they skating up a proper mountain?
    Artificial mountain, and down not up: http://crashedice.redbull.com/en_INT/vi ... k-revealed
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Just watching the Womens long track skating. Very stylish, powerful and bloody fast.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    One thing today that's been taken directly from cycling - competitors complaining about the British team's skinsuits.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    One thing today that's been taken directly from cycling - competitors complaining about the British team's skinsuits.

And the British team going on about their skinsuits to freak out the competitors. Wonder if their sleds have rounder wheels?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    I always fancied trying speed skating as a teenager. I thought it might suit me but obviously there's no rink in the UK. Short track is a poor relation there's too much luck involved as Elise Christie keeps reminding us (the same reason I don't like BMX racing at the Olympics). Proper speed skating just looks smooth and easy to watch but you know travelling that speed under your own steam obviously can't be.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ^I love watching the long track. It's so aesthetically pleasing.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    Snowboard half pipe has been incredible - Shawn White is a legend.

Looking forward to the skier cross.
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    Switched on the Eurosport coverage of the mens 5km speed skating to hear a painfully familiar voice. Cannot deal with Kirby anymore

Carlton must literally sit in the Eurosport studio all day, speaking tosh over anything they put on the screen in front of him.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Snowboard half pipe has been incredible - Shawn White is a legend.

Looking forward to the skier cross.

Ski and board cross are the highlights of the games imo. Proper heavyweight racing
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Switched on the Eurosport coverage of the mens 5km speed skating to hear a painfully familiar voice. Cannot deal with Kirby anymore
    Carlton must literally sit in the Eurosport studio all day, speaking tosh over anything they put on the screen in front of him.
    I think a lot of the time they don't even bother putting a screen in front of him.

Re GB's skeleton skin suits, I couldn't spot any dimples/trips in them, but I imagine they will have done aero testing? It's surprising in the short track speed skating how few competitors wear aero helmets, i'd have thought Team GB would've been up on that too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Give me short track. That's the proper stuff. Like watching banger racing.

q7nqBUb.gif
    Now Rick. You've got to be won over by a sport where the Netherlands can get a bronze medal despite not even being in the final.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Elise Christie joins (2014-16) Sanne Cant in athletes I just can't help but want to hug...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Elise Christie joins (2014-16) Sanne Cant in athletes I just can't help but want to hug...
    At some point surely she's got to think 'maybe I'm doing this wrong'
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    You have to wonder what Elise Christie's two Olympic Games nightmares will do to her mentally. 6 races with medal expectations in all and not a single finish for one reason or another. You'd have to be very tough to be willing to risk going through the same again in 4 years time.
  • OK, question for you speed skating fans. What are the grey stripes on the inside of the leg for?

1518439231674.jpg
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Long track team pursuit... great stuff... love it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    OK, question for you speed skating fans. What are the grey stripes on the inside of the leg for?
    I assume it is friction related.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    I think a lot of the time they don't even bother putting a screen in front of him.

Re GB's skeleton skin suits, I couldn't spot any dimples/trips in them, but I imagine they will have done aero testing? It's surprising in the short track speed skating how few competitors wear aero helmets, i'd have thought Team GB would've been up on that too.

watching the Ski Cross this AM and again thought they would benefit from aero kit, instead of the space suits they seem to wear.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    edited February 2018
    thegibdog wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

double
  • thegibdog wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

double
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    So Eurosport's own catch up service on its Amazon channel can't even record stuff properly. Women's Ski Cross finished after the second Semi Final, great stuff