Which fast Road tyres

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm due to be getting a set of carbon clinchers soon for my Spesh Tarmac that will need tyres.

I currently run S-Works Turbos (26c) but can't decide if I want another set of them on the new wheels.
I really like the turbos, and even though they are soft, I haven't had any punctures on them.

Does anyone have any experience of the new Pirelli P-zero velo?

I don't want Continental GP4000s.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Conti GP4K would be the obvious choice - any reason why you don't want them?
  • dannbodge
    A couple of friends use them and on the same rides they will end up getting punctures whereas I don't.
    And I want to be different
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Fill your boots with this link

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews

Looking at lowest rolling resistance(which might equate to fastest) gives you the Vittorio Corsa Speed (Open TLR)

Never ridden them but others may be able to comment
  • dannbodge
    arlowood wrote:

Looking at lowest rolling resistance(which might equate to fastest) gives you the Vittorio Corsa Speed (Open TLR)

Yeah I have been.

Numbers are only half the game though. That website is why I asked about the Pirelli.
    Seem to have better numbers than the S-works (which are great) but more puncture resistance.
  • I had P zeros on a new bike once and after one emergency stop (car on wrong side of the road) the tyres we're like a 50 pence piece as they're so soft.
    Never had that problem with GP4000's
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All my pals run GP4000s and p*nct*res are almost a thing of the past for us...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Never had any problems with Michelin Pro Race 3/4.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If money was no object I'd run Turbo Cottons on my summer bike. As it is I usually try and pick up Veloflex clinchers when they are on offer.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I've been using Vittoria G+ corsa for the last year on all sets of wheels. no complaints, they roll smoothly and have good grip. Having used s works turbos I would say they are on a par speed wise, with the corsa's being slightly grippier in the wet IMO.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I moved from Corsa's to Michelin Power Comp. Feels the same, grips ok, just as quick or slow....but they dont show the muck as much.
    I do like the Corsa but look rubbish when covered in grime.
  • For what it's worth I've been running GP4000's all through the winter so far and haven't had a single puncture... Seems to be luck more than any difference between tyres at this time of year.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    use Pirelli's now, as fast as GP4000s but feel better and grip better in the twisty stuff. as good on punctures as well.
  • arlowood wrote:

Perfect for TT's, not suitable for everyday UK road riding
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dannbodge
    So looking at a few comments on here and reviews, I think I'll go with the P-zeros.

I'll be getting them from my LBS so I'll ask their opinion too.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I'm due to be getting a set of carbon clinchers soon for my Spesh Tarmac that will need tyres.

I currently run S-Works Turbos (26c) but can't decide if I want another set of them on the new wheels.
    I really like the turbos, and even though they are soft, I haven't had any punctures on them.

I'm in the same boat and have chosen Michelin power competition.

I love continental grand prix's for training, even rode a race today on them on my winter hack but I'm not that into Continental GP4000ii. They should be better than the 'normal' grand prix but I whilst racing in the wet last year I happened to have a GP4000ii on the back and a grand prix GT on the front and in corners I could feel the back wheel slipping.

Also found the GP4000ii no better for puncture protection than the Grand prix so with my best race wheels I'll be using Michelin!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Neilr4 you'll have to let me know what you think of the Michelin's. Ive done a few rides, grip feels pretty good, last Sunday i was in the Welsh mountains (Snowdonia) and was fairly damp and icey with water run of from the hills, grip felt solid. I swapped them from my 32mm training tyre so they also felt light and supple.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Go tubeless. Spec have a tubeless tyres hat is actually the IRC formula pro rbcc rebranded. There you go.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Go tubeless. Spec have a tubeless tyres hat is actually the IRC formula pro rbcc rebranded. There you go.

Is it the same price?
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Veloflex Corsa tyres, I use them all on all my summer bikes. Not supposed to use them on carbon clinchers but I’ve been using them on some Zipp Firecrest 404’s with no problem. I think it’s because the tyre side wall can be cut be the carbon rim.
  • neilr4 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

I love continental grand prix's for training, even rode a race today on them on my winter hack but I'm not that into Continental GP4000ii. They should be better than the 'normal' grand prix but I whilst racing in the wet last year I happened to have a GP4000ii on the back and a grand prix GT on the front and in corners I could feel the back wheel slipping.

Also found the GP4000ii no better for puncture protection than the Grand prix so with my best race wheels I'll be using Michelin!!

Power Comp are the only race tyre I've ever sidewall punctured. That's anecdote, of course. But as fast as they are they always felt a bit fragile and certainly more so than the Pro 4.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    neilr4 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Power Comp are the only race tyre I've ever sidewall punctured. That's anecdote, of course. But as fast as they are they always felt a bit fragile and certainly more so than the Pro 4.

And the only tyre I've ever sidewalled was a conti 4000ii after 3 rides....... Don't get me wrong they roll beautifully and a lot of folk are very happy with them and any tyre can get sidewalled but in my experience Conti GP4000ii don't live up to the hype!!

I haven't used michelin since the PRO 2 and I had a lot of fortune regarding (lack of) puncturing....... I wasn't racing at the time as I had just started back after a 12 year hiatus and they were on a set of wheels that a friend gave me but all in all I had no complaints with them.

OP, I have the power competition on my carbon racing wheels and haven't rode on them yet but I intend on racing them in all weathers to get a proper assessment.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'