Caad12 105 disc vs existing Boardman Team Carbon

Comments

• That is cheap - and 8.8kgs so not too bad. I might have a quick google and see if I can find a Focus to look at locally.

I like your comment about the Boardmans - my Team Carbon and a Pro FS mtb I previously had have both been great. Tempted just to go for that as we have a local cycle Republic and I’ve been able to see the exact model I’d be looking for and liked it.

The Cube is very much the unknown - although I think the triathlon shop in Bristol might sell trmnsonimmight wander there tomorrow and see if they have one. I think Muddock also sell Cannondale so I’m going to try that as well for a Caad12 Disc.
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    Yeah it’s a good price on the Focus.

I’m not sure what else to do to my Boardman Team CX now, not really much left to do I guess. Suppose I’ll just have to ride it instead. :lol:
  • Riding is the most important thing for sure!

I’m nearly like that on my mtb - apart from upgrading the fork damper there’s nothing that really needs doing. Maybe some lighter wheels would be nice (whilst still remaining strong) but that would be a lot of money and it wouldn’t give enough difference.
  • Went into a local bike shop and they had a size 54 caad12 105 Disc in a sale. Even after they charge a fee for it being done through bike to work it matches the best price in there internet. It’s like it was made to be - I’ve out a temporary hold on it pending getting a C2W voucher ordered.

Excited, but just a little bit hesitant over the Boardman still - having felt both in shops today I think the Boardman is a little lighter.

Reviews suggest it doesn’t hit the claimed 8.3kg weight, even in a small. The shop stuck the Cannondale on the scales and it came in just under 9kg in my size. So there probably isn’t much in it.

Looking at the rear stays I think I stand more chance of bodging a rear mudguard onto the Cannondale as the Boardman has very little clearance between the tyre and the monostay bit where the seatstays meet and are blended together.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    The Boardman takes full mudguards without a problem even with the nobbly tyres it comes with.My mate does just that. I run 30mm schwalbe on mine,again even more clearance with them on.
  • Nobbly tyres? When I looked I’m pretty sure the road pro disc had slick tyres on it and nothing over a 28mm would fit?

Are you referring to a Boardman CX bike instead maybe?
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Similar to you, I also have an old boardman team carbon with Rival and I also have a CAAD12ultegra (albeit rim brake). Both bikes now have different wheels (Zonda on the boardman, RS81 C35s on the CAAD).

The boardman still gets ridden and is a great bike, the CAAD is racier geometry and the weather /conditions all being equal I’d say I go a bit faster on the CAAD (might be in my head!).

The boardman still makes me smile, I know it’s cheap carbon compared to nice alloy, but they’re different beasts regardless. Not sure it does help actually....
  • Thanks Bigmul- I’m tempted to keep the Boardman as well - but I think my wife might shoot me! It’d probably just end up on the turbo in the garage being very occasionally used which would be a waste.

If the wife was more understanding I could put some really light wheels on the Boardman and lighten all the other bits like cranks / seatpost / stem / handlebars and make it a real rocket for dry weather. I just can’t justify it though for the amount of road riding I do.

Going to start cleaning it up this weekend to get it nearer being ready to sell. It’s generally in pretty good condition but I’d taped the frame where the mudguards clip on and the cycle computer goes round the fork so it didn’t get marked - so I need to take hat off and polish the frame up again. Gears are in good condition but just need a bit of a clean up as well.

Not sure what it’ll sell for - thinking of sticking it on for £375 and see how that goes. It got upgraded Mavic Aksium wheels and apex brakes to replace the poor Ritchey wheels and tektro brakes. Got some new bar tape in my bike box too, so will put that on as well.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    I put some Rival brakes on as like.you the standard ones are junk. Other than that, a flite saddle, cha he's the stem and bars to suit and with zondas it's excellent. Only other thing I might consider is the crank as they're off-groupset ones - but it really does ride nicely.
  • The tektros really were awful - only changed them in September as found a bargain on eBay. Can’t believe I didn’t change them sooner really - too busy spending money on mtbs I guess!

I’ll be sad to see it go - although maybe not quite as sad as when my Caad9 in Liquigas colours sold in 2011.
  • Check out some of the deals here:

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39 ... OILED/Road

I picked up a CAAD12 Disc Ultegra 2018 (Full hydro R8000) for £1499. It’s an absolutely phenomenal bike for an unbelievable price (£700 off RRP). With a pair of 28mm tyres, a CAAD12 disc is a perfect winter machine.
  • Wow, some bargain bikes on there!

I’ve already put a deposit down on a Caad12 105 Disc 2017 model pending my C2W voucher arriving.

The ultegra model is a great price / deal - although the colour would have put me off going for it I think.

The dura ace caad12 Disc ex demo bike however looks good. Probably a size too big for me which is the only consoling factor.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    One thing I would say about Caad12 is that it ain't easy to fir a tyre to those wheels... gave up on continentals this morning then struggled to get the stock ones back on!!!
  • TTB - fitting tyres on the Maddux wheels you mean? I have had some dramas fitting new tyres to every racer I’ve had - involving a tyre lever to get it popped on the rim every time (compared to mtb where quite often I’ve not needed them to get the tyre seated).

Everything is pointing to trying to upgrade the standard wheels if possible. Will see what the bike shops view is on doing a part of ex of them against some better wheels. If not then I think I’ll run them for a while and see how they go - then look to upgrade at a later date.

Was in the garage yesterday moving stuff around and the Boardman feels so light - hope the caad12 doesn’t feel too much heavier.
  • twotoebenny
    Yeah the Maddux wheels, couldn't roll the tyre on at all... then tried the dreaded lever on with tyre levers and just kept chasing the tyre round rim. I don't think my thumbs are the strongest but wrecked them yesterday.

I don't think it's a heavy bike, and ride a 58... have enjoyed the half dozen or so rides on it. So far so good
  • The bike shop have said they’d give me trade price for the standard wheels if used in part ex for a better set of wheels. Estimated £75 without checking the exact price.

I’ve been suggested Hope 520 / Hunt Aero Lite / Mavic Ksyrium Disc. Going to have a look at prices and see if I can justify the upgrade or whether to just go with standard and see how they go.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Joebristol wrote:
    The bike shop have said they’d give me trade price for the standard wheels if used in part ex for a better set of wheels. Estimated £75 without checking the exact price.

I’ve been suggested Hope 520 / Hunt Aero Lite / Mavic Ksyrium Disc. Going to have a look at prices and see if I can justify the upgrade or whether to just go with standard and see how they go.

What bike shop (I presume in Bristol) are you dealing with? Did you not try the spesh shop by fishponds Tesco (also sell cube and cannondales) or the Giant store in Bradley stoke?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Mud Dock in town. Always liked the shop and they had such a good deal on the caad12 I couldn’t resist. I didn’t see online that the Specialized shop sold Cube and Cannondale - and I’ve always been underwhelmed by Specialized for no good reason at all!

The guys at Mud Dock have been great and they’re handy for where I work.

Bradley Stoke is just a pain to get to for me as I never go near that part of Bristol.

I found Hunt have some wheels called the Mason x Hunt 4 seasons so I think I’m going to go with those.
  • minnnt
    They’re the wheels I have on my Boardman. They’re top notch mate.
  • twotoebenny
    Joebristol wrote:
    Mud Dock in town. Always liked the shop and they had such a good deal on the caad12 I couldn’t resist. I didn’t see online that the Specialized shop sold Cube and Cannondale - and I’ve always been underwhelmed by Specialized for no good reason at all!

The guys at Mud Dock have been great and they’re handy for where I work.

Bradley Stoke is just a pain to get to for me as I never go near that part of Bristol.

I found Hunt have some wheels called the Mason x Hunt 4 seasons so I think I’m going to go with those.

Have you compared them against the Maddux and if so do you mind sharing?
  • When you say compared them, do you mean in terms of weight etc?
  • twotoebenny
    Yeah weight, hubs etc
  • I mean the standard wheels generally don’t have good reviews or feedback on them. I’ve seen various weights quoted - from 1990g for the set to over 2000gs.

I’ve also seen various forum posts where the rims have cracked because they’re drilled with straight holes, but then the incorrect type of spike nipple has been used for this type of drilling. The hubs are cartridge bearings formula ones - I’ve not heard anything too bad about them.

The Mason X Hunt 4 season wheels are £299 and weigh 1585g so a good chunk off the Maddux wheelset weight. There is a £399 set that drop another 100g off the overall weight pretty much.

Generally the reviews and feedback I’ve found is good. There were a couple of posts where rims had cracked, but Hunt replaced the wheels within a week under warranty.

Triple butted spokes with brass nipples are used and the bearings are said to be high quality cartridge bearings.

For the price they seem good enough for me.
  • twotoebenny
    Thanks mate, save me a bit of research :wink:

Definite upgrade for not a lot by the looks of things.
  • Seems like a good option. There are a few others - Hope 20Five if you like clicky hubs or Mavic Ksyrium - although both are a bit heavier and a bit more expensive.

Think theres a Novatec wheelset that’s meant to be ok and maybe one other. Think I’ll go hunt though.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Got my Caad12 - complete with the HuntxMason 4 seasons road wheels. Ride it for the first time today and it feels pretty quick. As I’m coming back from injury it’s hard to say how it compares for outright go with the Boardman that I’ve just sold. In weight terms the caad12 is circa 500 grams heavier than the Boardman, going by my scales.

Love the look of the new bike - it looks great in the matt paintwork - although I think it might scratch easily.

Saddle is awful though - it’s long / narrow and completely flat. That’s going straight on eBay and my trusty SDG Bel Air is going on for the time being!
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Old bike:

5y59Lit.jpg

New bike:

L3GsslO.jpg

The seatpost on the new bike came silly high up - it doesn’t look that that now I’ve ridden it!
  • minnnt
    Must admit mate, that does look rather smart. Great choice.
  • twotoebenny
    That's just like mine, wheels look good. Had another puncture and struggling to get the tyres off the Maddux wheels, defo going to change them. The only other wee thing that's annoying me is the offset on the crank arms, rubbing inside of my feet (my left foot particularly).