RideLondon 2018

2»

Comments

• mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    edited February 2018
    Have done Rl twice (applied twice) in 2015 and 2016. 2015 was great and really enjoyed it. In 2016 they added another 6000 or so riders and made it a nightmare. I did the whole course as went off earlier but my dad only did 86 as they shortened it due to accidents/congestion.

Got stuck for hours after a crash and had to walk a few miles of it in SPD-SLs, not much fun. Won't be doing it again. Seems to also be a high percentage of folk with very expensive bike in top end gear who can't ride for sh*t.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've done it twice, entered the ballot as nothing to lose but haven't got in. I really don't mind and not sure I would do it even if I got in...the logistics are a nightmare and such a high change of a crash ruining the ride.

CBA anymore with this one.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Applied six times, never got a ballot place.

Rode the first RL100 for CRUK, then rode (or mostly swam, due to Hurricane Bertha) the second one which was of course RL86, also for CRUK.

I would like to do it again, but the hugely increased numbers is a bit off-putting. The chances of getting held up for ages behind a crash, as happened to my OH who did it for the first time in 2015, seem very high these days. The only way would be to get a really early start and get to the hills before the eejits.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mudsucker wrote:
    Have done Rl twice (applied twice) in 2015 and 2016. 2015 was great and really enjoyed it. In 2016 they added another 6000 or so riders and made it a nightmare. I did the whole course as went off earlier but my dad only did 86 as they shortened it due to accidents/congestion.

Got stuck for hours after a crash and had to walk a few miles of it in SPD-SLs, not much fun. Won't be doing it again. Seems to also be a high percentage of folk with very expensive bike in top end gear who can't ride for sh*t.

that can be true of many of the bigger promoted sportives, though I guess the closed roads kind of multiply it by a factor of 10, I applied the first couple of years, didnt get in, and kind of gave up trying,and whilst it sounds good if you are quick enough to get round, and Im most definitely not in that category, it always sounds a complete hassle when I think I can just get on my bike and go lose myself without the stress of it, but its the lure of the medal for completing it that makes part of me think never say never.