Views about 2nd hand 2009 Specialized Tricross Comp

CheeseCloth
CheeseCloth Posts: 9
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I saw this advert for a 2nd hand Specialized Tricross Comp, from 2009:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=119913

It's going for £275. I wondered if people more knowledgeable than me would know if that's a good deal or not? The bike appears to be in excellent condition. I'm interested in arranging to view the bike, but wanted to check here if the price is about right for a 9 year old bike, which appears to have been very well looked after.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I dunno if its a good deal .. its worth what ever you are willing to pay for it.

But My Tri-cross is 11 years old now and gets hammered weekly on and off road, they are good solid bikes. they only thing I dislike about it is there is a little toe overlap if running 32c knobbly tyres ... but fine on 23mm slicks .. mind you I am on a 2007 SS tric-cross I dont know if the geo changes in the next 2 years and for the comp ?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got one a couple of years newer - it doesn't have the Zert inserts - no idea if they're good or not - it does have carbon fork though.
    The downsides for me are the aforementioned toe overlap, lack of mudguard mount on the carbon forks and (my choice at the time) lack of disc brakes - considering I use it for dirty commutes and carrying a toddler I think discs would be nice.

I also found it a bit short - but replacing the 100mm stem for a 110mm stem wasn't exactly difficult.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ilack of disc brakes - considering I use it for dirty commutes and carrying a toddler I think discs would be nice..

yeah they are .. I am running a kinesis fork with a disc on the front and rim brake on the back .... its lovely in teh wet/offroad
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Ive got the singlespeed version and really like it, one of my favourite bikes (especially in this weather). Mine doesn't have the carbon seatstays or zertz inserts but is still very comfy. Great decender, and very stable due to long wheelbase which makes it very capable on gravel with big tyre clearances. I think some of these suffered with brake judder, but mine came with vee brakes instead of cantis and stop on a dime, and no judder at all. Was going to sell mine but just couldnt bring myself to do it. Make an offer and see how you go.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...