Newbie to indoor training with questions....go easy....

daveb99
daveb99 Posts: 273
I’ve been cycling for a few years and ride for fitness and enjoyment. I’ve done a couple of Sportives, which will continue, but have no intention of getting massively serious or racing. Other than last winter, I’ve always found that I struggle with motivation to go out in the cold / damp / wet weather - with the result that my fitness takes a significant dip in the winter - so I’ve started to look at Turbo trainers.

We have a cheap exercise bike - better than nothing (or slobbing out watching TV) of course - but it’s a world apart from riding on the road as you’d expect.

I don’t have a big budget, I don’t need a ninja-style training regime, I just want to ride more indoors (also when it’s wet during spring / summer etc) and enjoy it - and of course see my fitness improve steadily, so that I enjoy my outdoor rides much more too.

I came across Zwift a few years ago but it’s only now that I’m giving it some serious thought. It looks like a lot of fun, as well as being there for serious training if and when the need arises....

I think I can do this fairly inexpensively, this is what I have already:

- Choice of winter and summer bikes to put on a Turbo trainer
- 4iiii Precision Power Meter (with cadence - Bluetooth / ANT+) - can be fitted to either bike (both have same length cranks)
- Latest Garmin Speed sensor (Bluetooth / ANT+ I believe)
- Garmin Soft Strap HRM strap (ANT+ only I think)
- Choice of MacBook Pro or iPad for Zwift

So, I need a Turbo trainer. I’ve done a bit (but not loads) of research, I’m looking at budget to mid range and have my eye on the Elite Novo Smart - which uses the same resistance unit from the highly regarded Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+.

I know this kind of unit doesn’t give you the proper intertia feeling - but I’m fairly sure it will be a huge leap forward from my crappy folding exercise bike, especially when coupled with Zwift. The price at Halfords is pretty good.

If I use the MacBook Pro and connect via HDMI to my TV, am I right in thinking that I would only need to purchase the following? (I already have a suitable mat, and a basic fan that will do for now - plus the room has access to the garage so I can keep it cool by opening the internal garage door....)

Turbo Trainer
ANT+ dongle (for the HRM connection only)
USB 2.0 Extension lead
Front wheel support / riser block

If I change my HRM strap for a Bluetooth one, such as the Wahoo Tickr, does that mean I could connect all 3 sensors (Power meter, Speed, and HRM strap) simultaneously, with no need to purchase the ANT+ dongle, nor the USB extension lead?

Is there anything else I would need to buy to get up and running?

Also, a question on Strava / Garmin Connect. I’m used to seeing my rides on these apps when I’ve finished, is it possible to have Zwift sync with both of these - including distance covered?

On top of this of course I guess I’ll need to pay the £12.99 a month sub for Zwift - I presume this can be easily cancelled for the summer months if needed?

Any help would be much appreciated...
2012 Scott CR1 SL
2013 Dolan Dual
2016 Boardman Pro 29er

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Get a smart turbo ... it's a world of difference.
    if you get one with bluetooth support and your Macbook is new enough then you don't need Ant+ unless you want HR too - or get the Bluetooth HR.
    Don't bother with the power meter unless it's for the road.
    You may well need the usb extension lead - they're not expensive.

There's all sorts of apps out there - Zwift, Bkool, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest (?) - plenty of discussion on here about them.
  • daveb99
    Slowbike wrote:
    Get a smart turbo ... it's a world of difference.
    if you get one with bluetooth support and your Macbook is new enough then you don't need Ant+ unless you want HR too - or get the Bluetooth HR.
    Don't bother with the power meter unless it's for the road.
    You may well need the usb extension lead - they're not expensive.

There's all sorts of apps out there - Zwift, Bkool, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest (?) - plenty of discussion on here about them.

Cheers - My MacBook is a 15” 2012 (Retina) one, it has Bluetooth, I presume it’s new enough??

I might get the Bluetooth HR strap too so that I can use the iPad occasionally, with a mount for the bars, rather than have to hook it up to the TV. Also means I can do it in different room etc I guess, if needed.

Why don’t I need the power meter? Is that something that the smart turbo trainer measures anyway then - via the resistance? Is it as accurate as using the 4iiii crank arm power meter though - which measures direct effort at the cranks?

Surely I wouldn’t need the USB extension lead if I connect all 3 sensors using Bluetooth, not ANT+ ?
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Your MBPro is new enough - I think the bluetooth will be fine - although you may run into issues with signal strength - I did with my Ant+ dongle placing the laptop on a metal stand in front of the bars - hence the need for the USB cable - otherwise, no - not needed.

You don't need a power meter as the turbo will do all that for you.
  • daveb99
    Slowbike wrote:
    Your MBPro is new enough - I think the bluetooth will be fine - although you may run into issues with signal strength - I did with my Ant+ dongle placing the laptop on a metal stand in front of the bars - hence the need for the USB cable - otherwise, no - not needed.

You don't need a power meter as the turbo will do all that for you.

Thanks, I've now ordered the Elite Novo Smart trainer. I've checked my Mac settings and it has Bluetooth 4.0 LE so is definitely new enough.

I'm now thinking about swapping my sensors (HRM + Speed) for Wahoo bluetooth ones - as the Garmin ones are ANT+ only. My 4iii has bluetooth, does cadence, I'd prefer to use it for power too so I know it's measuring power the same on the trainer and the road.

I guess this way I don't have any ANT+ dependency (with its signal issues) and can use my iPad for Swift when I want to...the cost is going up a bit....!

EDIT - I've just ordered an ANT+ dongle, and USB extension cable, decided to give it a go with ANT+ rather than replace all my sensors....
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er