Importing from Bellatisport switzerland

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Ive never imported before - but bellatisport (switzerland seem to have a good offer on frameset i am considering)

Kuota Kiral £1136 + £98 postage.

Even taking into account 20% vat (246) - its still cheaper than uk price £1725 .

The only other thing I have to add - (I think) is import duty - anyone know how I work this out ?

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Dunno swiss not in EU i suppose but i think in Economic Free Trade Association (EFTA) so shouldn't be import tax.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I’ve had some components from them. No problems and no vat or import duty either. Really good company to deal with. Their postal charges always seem a little high on the website but I found they do refund a little if overcharged.
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ive never imported before - but bellatisport (switzerland seem to have a good offer on frameset i am considering)

Kuota Kiral £1136 + £98 postage.

Even taking into account 20% vat (246) - its still cheaper than uk price £1725 .

The only other thing I have to add - (I think) is import duty - anyone know how I work this out ?

Why do you pay VAT over the asked price? Switzerland is a special member of EU and part of Schengen space, so free circulations of goods apply.

Their website doesn't mention VAT so I assume their prices to be VAT inclusive. If you pay VAT when you buy the frame in the origin country, why are you double paying it by making the same at your country?

And no import duty as well. Nevertheless, I recommend you to ask your local customs office just for piece of mind.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It does seem a good saving but I'd not want to have to deal with a shop in Switzerland. If anything goes wrong it's got to be messy to sort out.
  • Never heard of this site before but just took a look from this post. Savings are insane - they've got the new Cervelo R3 disc at just shy of £1k saving, after shipping. But can't help but remember the warning that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is...
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    cougie wrote:
    It does seem a good saving but I'd not want to have to deal with a shop in Switzerland. If anything goes wrong it's got to be messy to sort out.

I've just bought a frameset from UK, and I'm in Portugal. My experience doesn't add to anything, but if you have some sort of confidence in your seller, I'd rather want to deal with something going wrong than be restricted by the only choices I have here.

If I were in OP's shoes, I would go for it. The savings are worthing (IMHO). But that's me.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    The VAT rate in Switzerland is 7.7%, if the price includes VAT (MWST), then 7.7% should not be charged, but you'll pay 20% on import to the UK. I don't know how it works in the UK, but bringing stuff into Switzerland, they'll add the 7.7%, and an often random charge for processing. Although I expect the price doesn't include VAT though, if they are quoting shipping to the UK.
  • I've looked in disbelief at this site before when looking at dream bikes but never ordered from them.
    Their site does say the following so i'd expect to get hit by import and taxes.

Non-swiss customers: all the given prices are Tax Free, i.e. swiss VAT is not included. The customer may be subject to import duties and taxes applyed in the order`s destination country, which may vary from country to country."
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Never heard of this site before but just took a look from this post. Savings are insane - they've got the new Cervelo R3 disc at just shy of £1k saving, after shipping. But can't help but remember the warning that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is...

Yes - however the shop has been around for a while - I considered a kuota from them 10 years ago - but then my employer started cyclescheme.

They do get positive feedback on forums.

The full build bike even has a decent spec wheelset.....