Rear mech jumping after new wheel & cassette

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Put on a new shimano wheel on rear of my commuter bike with a new 105 cassette. I'm using existing KMC chain, worn on chain tool 1.0 but not 0.75 so will continue to use for a bit.

Rear mech seems to be jumping when I purchased my Shimano RS11 rear wheel, there was a separate small bag with a 10 speed spacer that must be put on the wheel for 10 speed which is what my commute bike has! When I put on the cassette I not only included this spacer but also the standard Shimano thin silver spacer that comes with the cassette....could this be causing my rear mech to jump? I haven't ridden the bike yet just in the work stand.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Worn chain or you've got the indexing wrong.

I'd generally replace the chain if I'm fitting a new cassette. No point in skimping for a tenner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    cooldad wrote:
    Worn chain or you've got the indexing wrong.

I'd generally replace the chain if I'm fitting a new cassette. No point in skimping for a tenner.

Indexing is fine, I checked all the gears, must be the chain with the new cassette. Also I noticed the big ring teeth look quiet worn, might change both.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    canoas wrote:
    Put on a new shimano wheel on rear of my commuter bike with a new 105 cassette. I'm using existing KMC chain, worn on chain tool 1.0 but not 0.75 so will continue to use for a bit.

Rear mech seems to be jumping when I purchased my Shimano RS11 rear wheel, there was a separate small bag with a 10 speed spacer that must be put on the wheel for 10 speed which is what my commute bike has! When I put on the cassette I not only included this spacer but also the standard Shimano thin silver spacer that comes with the cassette....could this be causing my rear mech to jump? I haven't ridden the bike yet just in the work stand.
    If it’s worn to 1.0 then it’s way past 0.75 and there lies your problem!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try the chain first. Chainrings last ages, and some teeth are different to aid shifting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools