What to carry for tubeless tyres?

jontymo
jontymo Posts: 127
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Just got my new Defy which comes with tubeless tyres, what would you carry in case of a puncture that does not seal?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I carry worms, but also a tube and pump. And a repair kit. But on a mountain bike in a Camelbak.

Trying to use patches on the inside is a PITA unless you can clean out all the fluid, or the patch won't stick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Cheers people.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    jontymo wrote:
    what would you carry in case of a puncture that does not seal?
    A mobile phone and a credit card for a taxi :wink::lol:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Carry a pump and an inner tube. All tubeless tyres can still accept an inner tube and be used like a regular clincher.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Same as a clincher. A pump and an inner tube.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    Pump (habit), tube, boot, gas.
  • cooldad
    You should probably avoid the beans before riding.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • svetty
    Carry a pump and an inner tube. All tubeless tyres can still accept an inner tube and be used like a regular clincher.
    Assuming you can get the tubeless tyre off the rim with cold hands in a muddy lane somewhere - and then get it back on again without nipping the tube. I've spent ages watching fellow riders struggling with this in recent weeks. Tubeless is great when it works and the sealant does it's job but can be a nightmare if the hole in the tyre is too large.
  • cooldad
    Some tyres are a bitch, some aren't. There is no difference between getting a tubeless ready and non tubeless per se.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Svetty wrote:
    Carry a pump and an inner tube. All tubeless tyres can still accept an inner tube and be used like a regular clincher.
    Assuming you can get the tubeless tyre off the rim with cold hands in a muddy lane somewhere - and then get it back on again without nipping the tube. I've spent ages watching fellow riders struggling with this in recent weeks. Tubeless is great when it works and the sealant does it's job but can be a nightmare if the hole in the tyre is too large.

If it’s popped and you can’t get a tube in then you’re going nowhere , but that argument could be the same for a regular clincher so what is your point? If your hands are cold and it’s muddy, warm them up and clean off the mud. Are you this defeatist is all the things you do? Life in the military taught me to adapt and overcome.
  • svetty
    edited February 2018
    Svetty wrote:

If it’s popped and you can’t get a tube in then you’re going nowhere , but that argument could be the same for a regular clincher so what is your point? If your hands are cold and it’s muddy, warm them up and clean off the mud. Are you this defeatist is all the things you do? Life in the military taught me to adapt and overcome.
    Your life in the military is relevant here how?
    Hang-on, I get it, it taught you to walk miles through a potentially hostile environment carrying a heavy object, I can see why this is relevant to the situation I outlined. :roll: :roll:
    If you read what I put you'd see that it wasn't me who had struggled with this but companions. I use clinchers now - and carry a tyre boot. In all my years of riding I have never needed to get a taxi or lift home for any reason - including punctures, despite my not having prior military service to fall back on.
    The fact is that some tubeless/rim combinations can be very difficult to tackle especially when out in the sticks with a couple of plastic tyre levers and cold hands....
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Some tubeless advocates don't carry a tube, but it may be the quickest, easiest and perhaps only way to get back on the road if you have a big slice in your tyre or a hole that doesn't seal even when a worm is fitted. I've needed one a few times, and it was no more difficult to remove and fit the tube on a tubeless setup than normal. I'm not saying it's going to be easy for everyone, but that's my experience with several different rim and tyre combinations.

Here's what I carry:
    inner tube, co2 cartridge, co2 inflator, mini pump, pressurized canister of sealant, worms, worm applicator, mini leatherman (for pliers to remove tight valve nut), Pedros tyre lever, Park Tools tyre boot, rubberized super glue, self adhesive patches, quick chain connector (10 and 11 speed), mini tool with chain link remover, cable ties, spokey. Some (non-tubeless) guys I ride with even carry a spare tyre under their saddles.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Someone needs to make a light, small but effective tool for undoing tubeless valve nuts.
  • Svetty wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Hang-on, I get it, it taught you to walk miles through a potentially hostile environment carrying a heavy object, I can see why this is relevant to the situation I outlined. :roll: :roll:
    If you read what I put you'd see that it wasn't me who had struggled with this but companions. I use clinchers now - and carry a tyre boot. In all my years of riding I have never needed to get a taxi or lift home for any reason - including punctures, despite my not having prior military service to fall back on.
    The fact is that some tubeless/rim combinations can be very difficult to tackle especially when out in the sticks with a couple of plastic tyre levers and cold hands....

It also taught me not to be a complete fanny.
  • bobones wrote:
    Some tubeless advocates don't carry a tube, but it may be the quickest, easiest and perhaps only way to get back on the road if you have a big slice in your tyre or a hole that doesn't seal even when a worm is fitted. I've needed one a few times, and it was no more difficult to remove and fit the tube on a tubeless setup than normal. I'm not saying it's going to be easy for everyone, but that's my experience with several different rim and tyre combinations.

Here's what I carry:
    inner tube, co2 cartridge, co2 inflator, mini pump, pressurized canister of sealant, worms, worm applicator, mini leatherman (for pliers to remove tight valve nut), Pedros tyre lever, Park Tools tyre boot, rubberized super glue, self adhesive patches, quick chain connector (10 and 11 speed), mini tool with chain link remover, cable ties, spokey. Some (non-tubeless) guys I ride with even carry a spare tyre under their saddles.

Where does the bike stand go?
  • cooldad
    You really don't want to know.

Or borrow it afterwards.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My kit has no tube or levers. 1.5mm and 3.5mm width worms, valve core remover, spare valve or valve core, valve core remover, flexible superglue, 60ml pouch of sealant just in case and a pump. It packs pretty small. The stands 2oz bottle is a good container for sealant.

Tubes are not needed. If a puncture can't be fixed with the above a tube won't help you either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Seems a lot of stuff to carry to perform open tyre surgery on the side of the road when a simple tube would fix most issues and be on your way and fix it at home.

For something which is meant to be a lot easier to live with and be harder to puncture. Tubeless sound like nothing but a complete pain in the ass which if anything leave you utter f@cked if they fail.

So much for progress
  • Carry a pump and an inner tube. All tubeless tyres can still accept an inner tube and be used like a regular clincher.
    I also wrap the spare inner tube inside an old sock, so that I have something to wipe out the excess sealant with if I do get a puncture that the sealant won't fix.
  • svetty
    Svetty wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Is that the best you can do - a cheap insult? Pathetic.......
  • trivial_poursuivant
    trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
    edited February 2018
    Svetty wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Is that the best you can do - a cheap insult? Pathetic.......

Nope. For people worth more effort, I would say something else. But you are just a knob tbh.

Thing is, others said round about the same thing. But you always come around to pick up on my comment in particular. Why is that? Cos your looking for confrontation?

You are just a parasite. You only have negative comments and nothing of any use to say. Nothing constructive. You’re the worst kind of person. I’m not even going to reply to your comments any more, you not worth the energy. You’re wasting the worlds valuable oxygen as it is just breathing.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,207
    Now then children...

As one on the cusp of going tubeless, I find this thread useful.
  • cycleclinic
    Putting a tube in a clincher tyre takes more time than shoving a worm in. So the comment above is based on ignorance if using tyre worms. Tubeless has not left me stranded. I ride 250+ miles a week in all conditions so if there was a problem I would have found it by now.
  • cycleclinic
    If you have a really big hole you can shove two fat worms in smear superglue over it pump up to 30 psi and limp home which is youd be doing with a tube in anyway with s tyre that compromised. As I said if you can't fix it with the kit I carry a tube will be of no help. Tubeless requires a mindset change. It s a different technology. Tubes are never involved that the whole point.

I now remove tubeless tyres only to replace them.
  • svetty
    Svetty wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Nope. For people worth more effort, I would say something else. But you are just a knob tbh.

Thing is, others said round about the same thing. But you always come around to pick up on my comment in particular. Why is that? Cos your looking for confrontation?

You are just a parasite. You only have negative comments and nothing of any use to say. Nothing constructive. You’re the worst kind of person. I’m not even going to reply to your comments any more, you not worth the energy. You’re wasting the worlds valuable oxygen as it is just breathing.

Deep breath.....I'll stick to facts and not retaliate with the baseless insults. If you actually review the thread,all I did was relate the factual story of how some of my companions had had difficulty using a tube when puncturing on tubeless. You then responded with "Are you this defeatist is all the things you do? Life in the military taught me to adapt and overcome." And then resorted to the name calling - which you then expanded on above. And you call me a knob :roll:
  • If you have a really big hole you can shove two fat worms in smear superglue over it pump up to 30 psi and limp home which is youd be doing with a tube in anyway with s tyre that compromised. As I said if you can't fix it with the kit I carry a tube will be of no help. Tubeless requires a mindset change. It s a different technology. Tubes are never involved that the whole point.

I now remove tubeless tyres only to replace them.

Even car tyres can accept an inner tube. Maybe not common practice now but they were always capable. If it’s cold, dark, raining and your tired, if you can removeca tyre and stick a tube in do it. You’re not having to worry if your repair with worms is going to hold.
  • cycleclinic
    Worms always hold for me because I push them in properly. Also I have two widths the big ones for big holes. When it is cold like last night the last thing I want to do is get cold at the side of the road putting a tube in. This is what I mean by a mindset change. Learn how to use the tools properly and problem solved. People only have problems with worms because they don't insert them right or don't have a worm big enough for the whole they have. Most people don't realise they can fit two worms into a hole if they must. It's not hard to learn but learn you must.

I don't think I can buy an inner tube for a 225/55r16 car tyre or ever get the tyre off without the tools of s tyre shop. Given I have fixed car punctures with the big maxalami worm and applicator tool I really don't see your point.

• I don't think I can buy an inner tube for a 225/55r16 car tyre or ever get the tyre off without the tools of s tyre shop. Given I have fixed car punctures with the big maxalami worm and applicator tool I really don't see your point.

The point is the tyre/rim interface is the same. So a tube would work. Of course you’re not going to be sticking a tube in most modern tyres but that tyre bead/metal rim hasn’t changed in decades. Tubeless tyres still have that same rim/bead as clinchers. Most tubeless are after all 2 way fit rims to use both. You could stick worms in and be fine but the day comes when the valve has broken or there are multiple holes that just won’t seal a tube could be your only solution.
  • This got me wondering, on a day like today when the ground is hard, how do you get the worms to come to the surface?
  • svetty
    edited February 2018
    It would greatly help if - over time - the knowledge and understanding of the use of worms became part of the everyday knowledge base the roadie community. I'm not sure why this isn't happening; most people I cycle with are sceptical regarding tubeless. This is probably a reflection of innate conservatism as much as anything - people are familiar with (EDITED - see below ;)) traditional clinchers with tubes and don't see the need to change.
    I guess the industry doesn't want tubeless to be seen as problematic and hence there isn't the incentive to publicise worms use - the idea of sealant 'just working' is more market-friendly.