Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Wide toe box MTB /XCshoes ?

cyberknightcyberknight Posts: 1,238
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I am looking unsuccessfully so far for a replacement for my aging btwin rockrider shoes that have got to be 7 years old , still going strong but looking a bit tired.
I have wide feet so going the normal size up doesn't cut it , tried 2 sizes up but then i end up with a lot of spare room in the toe.
Decathlons direct replacement has a toe box that although has the same sole size ( by going 1 eu size up ) is still too tight across the tor box width.
I have some M065 but ended up buying the blue/yellow thin insoles and its still doent feel spot on.

I am tempted by shimano M089 wide fit unless anyone has any suggestions for a duck foot size ?Doesnt help i wear work boots all day long and i think my feet have spread over the years .
Prefer a roadie look if possible as i use the shoes for commuting and road club rides but prefer the way to walk in mtb cleats.
FCN 3/5/9

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,854
    Similar issue to yourself and I use Shimano RT32. They do various variations based around roady looking shoe but for spd cleats and easy to walk on. Only thing is you will need overshoes when it's cold as vented.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • cyberknightcyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Got some rt32s off ebay used to try , good nick and price but i think i could have gone 2 sizes up .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • skiffyskiffy Posts: 84
    I went through that process a few months ago. Think I went through about 9 different shoes before I found one I liked. The wide fit Shimanos weren't bad but weren't quite the right shape, and I was unimpressed about how the velcro strap on 2 versions I tried wasn't stitched on straight. I ended buying a pair of Louis Garneau Onyx. I really like them, very good quality. Keep the elements out nicely too.
  • cyberknightcyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Ended up with some northwave spike evo `s
    went a sie up as the real size was a bit tight length wise so a thicker insole sorted a good fit.
    FCN 3/5/9