Prescription Tranistion Cycling Glasses

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
I need some new transition lens cycling glasses and wondered if you guys could recommend a frame, lens and supplier?

I have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XLs with prescription lenses but these are often too dark to use in the Winter. I also have some Oakley Photochromatics for daily use but these don't work for me on the bike as the frames are too think and the frames are actually quite heavy meaning they slip.

All I really want is a cheapish pair that look the part, have transition prescription lenses and are less than £100 as that way I get work to pay for them!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Comments

• I would be surprised / delighted if there are any options near that price point. Subscribed!
  • bmxboy10
    Bondurant wrote:
    I would be surprised / delighted if there are any options near that price point. Subscribed!
    Yes I’ve come to that conclusion too.
  • Rudy Project are good lenses and frames, with precscription options and transitions - but that price is severely optimistic ofr prescription and photochromic of any description/quality.

Bolle tend to be good value too - and any wrap frame ( usually base 8 curvature) can be fitted with a suitable prescription lens. Trivex aka NXT is better optically than the usual sports polycarbonate lenses... but again you're not going to get a good quality lens for that price.

With that curvature of the frame and lens, you need to be looking at 'digital' surfaced lenses - I meanyou'd struggle to get a quality pair of regular non wrap glasses with photochromic for that price, never mind the added complication of the frame wrap.

ps the best option is to bite the bullet and get lasered - google 'smile relex' as well as the usual lasik options. I got PRK more than 25 years ago ( before Lasik was even an option ) and i still reckon it was the best money i've spent.
  • bmxboy10
    These may work and won’t cost the earth

https://www.sportseyeweardirect.co.uk/S ... on-Glasses
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    solboy10 wrote:
    I need some new transition lens cycling glasses and wondered if you guys could recommend a frame, lens and supplier?

I have a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 XLs with prescription lenses but these are often too dark to use in the Winter. I also have some Oakley Photochromatics for daily use but these don't work for me on the bike as the frames are too think and the frames are actually quite heavy meaning they slip.

All I really want is a cheapish pair that look the part, have transition prescription lenses and are less than £100 as that way I get work to pay for them!

'I need a new car. All I really want is a new Beemer or Audi and wish to pay less than £5000.........'
    :roll: :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Normal glasses are my cycling glasses. They have photochromatic, anti reflective, anti scratch coatings and the best thing they on my face already. Why spend again on cycling glasses which do the same job. Given the mileage I do if there was a problem with ordinary glasses I would have found it by now. There is not though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Normal glasses are my cycling glasses. They have photochromatic, anti reflective, anti scratch coatings and the best thing they on my face already. Why spend again on cycling glasses which do the same job. Given the mileage I do if there was a problem with ordinary glasses I would have found it by now. There is not though.
    You are Laurent Fignon and I claim my £5. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Unless your spanking a fair bit on the fast transitions ones I really wouldn't bother I had some an come winter they were hopeless, colder it is longer they take to change.
    Better off getting a multi lens kit and choosing one for the weather.

This time of year you can wear a cap without issue an I go between a clear, blue and yellow lens depending on the day an mood, summer no cap an either a full mirror, polarised or chuck on some contacts an go full Fred an wear my Oakleys.
  • bmxboy10
    Svetty wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

'I need a new car. All I really want is a new Beemer or Audi and wish to pay less than £5000.........'

No I have a brand new BMW it’s glasses I wanted
  • bmxboy10

Malcolm I hear what you are saying but my daily Oakley glasses have a think rim which I find restricts my vision on the bike and they are heavy and don’t grip my head like a pair of sports glasses would.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Perhaps look for somewhere that does financing deals on glasses.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    got rudy projects - transitions and glazed to a hefty -5 prescription by extreme eyewear - didn't get much change from £300 though - but having tried all the cheaper options, I must say they are excellent.
  • svetty
    solboy10 wrote:

Did work buy that too?
  • bmxboy10
    Svetty wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Did work buy that too?

No that was Daddy. Is that a chip I see on your shoulder?
  • svetty
    solboy10 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Did work buy that too?

No that was Daddy. Is that a chip I see on your shoulder?

No, I'm lucky in being comfortably off - or I should say years of hard work have resulted in this so not luck perhaps. :D
  • bmxboy10
    Glad you have a good sense of humour