Speedplay zero -> Vector 3

igsta
igsta Posts: 56
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Thinking of swapping from Speedplay zero to Vector 3 to have a dabble with power and get out of the expensive speedplay cleats. Switched to speedplay to help save knees, which admittedly they did brilliantly vs mtb spd.

Speedplay now replaced v2 cleats with new aero walkable cleats, with many wiggle reviews suggesting the walkable covers get lost quite easily. I used to use the keep on kovers which worked perfectly. £50 a go for speedplay cleats vs £7 for the look keos which fit the vectors.

Does anyone have experience of the keo float vs speedplay zero? I have the speedplay zero float of 15degrees limited to around half, and keo do a red cleat with 9degree float. Wondering how that compares in real world terms, and if i’ll get similar knee saving benefit from the keo?

Any feedback with vector 3 also much appreciated, garmin are notorious for releasing buggy products to consumers early in product cycle!

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    No comment on the float difference (no experience)

However the two users I know with the V3 have had zero issues and are loving them. One of them has moved from a power2max unit, the other has had V2 then P1 and now to V3 and he is convincing me to purchase.

Not to say that this will be everyones experience but DC rainmaker was positive about the product compared to previous Garmin attemps
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Not used speedplays but have owned the vector 3 for a few weeks now and they are fantastic.

I loved shimano pedals and only ever used them until I switched to powertap p1 which uses a look system. At this time i was suffering with a knee injury and had considered speedplays but wanted a power meter so opted for the powertap p1. How i regretted it! They were not only unreliable but the cleats just weren't as easy to clip in to as shimano.

Somehow, even though they use also use a look system, the vector 3 are much easier to clip in.
    Only issue I have had is having to tighten the tension in the left pedal to the max as I felt the cleat was going to unclip on the first few sprints.

This said, whilst so far the vector 3 have been fantastic and the power data is very consistent, I have to admit I still prefer the shimano pedal system.

Op i appreciate were asking specifically for comparison between speedplay and vectors but tbh apart from the differences in clipping in styles the vector do have up to 9' float so hopefully you wouldn't notice too much difference.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I use Speedplay for knee issues and the simplicity of clipping in, and a P2M power meter. How often are you changing your cleats as mine last an age? I avoid walking on hard surfaces in them as much as possible and use the original coffee stop covers purchased with my first set in 2012.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I’m thinking of making the same switch.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    Good to hear positive feedback on the vectors. Hopefully bluetooth connectivity coming soon as well.

I get around 6000km on a set of cleats. Last one broke getting out of turbo the other day and the second bike probably close to replacing too. Thats £100 for cleats right there (commuting shoes and summer/indoor shoes).

That said ive loved speedplay to date, just think power is logical next step for me and getting very confused by chainset based solutions on a bb86 frame, hence considering the new vectors.
  • Swapped to walkable cleats about nine months ago. Ive taken the cleat covers off a few times (while I was dialling-in the cleat position on some new shoes), so by rights if anyone's covers should be loose and prone to falling of they would be mine. Not a bit of it; the covers are still very tight and I've not lost either of them. They make walking much easier (better than the old cafe covers). And they protect the metal plate, so the cleats are going to last a LOT longer than unprotected cleats do.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    igsta wrote:
    Good to hear positive feedback on the vectors. Hopefully bluetooth connectivity coming soon as well.

I get around 6000km on a set of cleats. Last one broke getting out of turbo the other day and the second bike probably close to replacing too. Thats £100 for cleats right there (commuting shoes and summer/indoor shoes).

That said ive loved speedplay to date, just think power is logical next step for me and getting very confused by chainset based solutions on a bb86 frame, hence considering the new vectors.

rotor 3d24 for that. Power2 max is very very good.