FSA / SRAM / Campagnolo chainset compatability

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited February 2018 in Workshop
I have a bit of an issue with a SRAM Rival chainset on my winter bike - it works ok but it's a bit tatty and slightly buckled and ideally I would like to change it. I also have a Bianchi Impulso with a Veloce groupset, apart from the chainset which is FSA MegaExo. For a while I have wanted to replace it with a Veloce chainset just to complete the groupset and I am now wondering if I have the option of using the FSA in place of the Rival chainset. Am I right in thinking that chainsets are fully interchangeable between Campagnolo and SRAM/Shimano? I know the levers, mechs, cassettes etc are not but I would imagine that the FSA, being an aftermarket item, would be OK with either? Does this sound right or will I have an issue with the chain? Both groupsets are 10 speed and both chainsets are compact 50/34.
Does anyone foresee any other problems that I might be missing?
Thanks for any pointers.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    I run an FSA chainset with Veloce, no problem. 50/34
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    I've never found that an odd chainset has been a problem. Manufacturers do it all the time, putting cheaper FSA etc chainsets on mostly Shinmano bikes.I've just switched my entire groupset to SRAM force, even though I had a SRAM force chainset with a mixture of Shimano 105 5800 and Ultergra 6800.

I still think in the perfect world it's nicer to have a matching groupo. I prefer SRAM chains which is one of the reasons I run their groupsets.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rival is a better groupset than Veloce, why would you compromise it by changing the Rival crankset for an FSA Gossamer?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • crescent
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am very happy with the Rival Groupset in general (I also have the 11 speed version on my summer bike) but the chainset requires replacing because it is slightly buckled and the non drive side crank threads have seen better days. I would also like to swap the FSA for a Veloce chainset at some point so it was really just about ticking both boxes with minimum outlay i.e. using the FSA in place of the damaged Rival chainset and buying a new Veloce chainset. My doubts were based on whether the FSA chainset could be used with a SRAM groupset having come from a Campagnolo groupset or whether an aftermarket chainset was compatible with both manufacturers.
    Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    FSA will work fine.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Crescent wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am very happy with the Rival Groupset in general (I also have the 11 speed version on my summer bike) but the chainset requires replacing because it is slightly buckled and the non drive side crank threads have seen better days. I would also like to swap the FSA for a Veloce chainset at some point so it was really just about ticking both boxes with minimum outlay i.e. using the FSA in place of the damaged Rival chainset and buying a new Veloce chainset. My doubts were based on whether the FSA chainset could be used with a SRAM groupset having come from a Campagnolo groupset or whether an aftermarket chainset was compatible with both manufacturers.
    Cheers

Putting a Veloce chainset on a bike is easy, getting one off is another matter. Unless you have the Campag puller it is next to impossible. IMHO the best place to put a Veloce chainset is on Ebay.
  • crescent
    lesfirth wrote:
    Putting a Veloce chainset on a bike is easy, getting one off is another matter. Unless you have the Campag puller it is next to impossible. IMHO the best place to put a Veloce chainset is on Ebay.

That's useful information. I don't really have a huge amount of experience working on Campagnolo. I've already struggled trying to remove the cranks from the FSA though - the non-drive side was such a b******d to get off that I gave up the last time I tried. Hmm, food for thought.
  • StillGoing
    Crescent wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

That's useful information. I don't really have a huge amount of experience working on Campagnolo. I've already struggled trying to remove the cranks from the FSA though - the non-drive side was such a b******d to get off that I gave up the last time I tried. Hmm, food for thought.

Treat yourself and get some Rotor cranks for the Rival group set.
  • crescent
    philthy3 wrote:

It’s a nice idea but I’m not sure my winter bike merits that level of investment :?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Crescent wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

It’s a nice idea but I’m not sure my winter bike merits that level of investment :?

Do it. Life's too short to ride sh1t bikes!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • StillGoing
    Crescent wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Wait, you've got the better groupset on your winter bike?