Best carbon bottle cages

ollaay
ollaay Posts: 166
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Just bought a Supersix hi mod in the team colours, so looking for some black carbon bottle cages for it.

Any reccomendations?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i went through a few trying to find cool ones: Massi at ridiculous £s each, Chinarello, etc.

Clarke's at £15 or Planet X rock - look good, well made, no bottles falling out.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tacx have some nice ones - personally I don't see CF is worth it for a cage.
    If these are good enough for Pro Teams - I'm sticking with them. Never lost a bottle out of them either.

https://tacx.com/product/tao/
  • Have a look at Serfas' range. I've had a pair of cc200's on my Kinesis GFTi for four years and they seem unbreakable (wishes he hadnt said that now!). They hold bottles very securely. I've not lost one on the rough as a$$holes roads in Herefordshire so they do the job.
  • Matthewfalle
    Fenix wrote:
    If these are good enough for Pro Teams - I'm sticking with them. Never lost a bottle out of them either.

its worth it because they look cool and half the game.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited February 2018
    I have Blackburn camber cages on my Scott, iirc picked up in a sale for around £15 each.

Look lovely, imho, hold bottles (podiums) securely, but not tricky to remove or return the bottle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    How do you define "best"? Does value for money come into this or is common sense missing here.
  • Arundel Mandibles look cool and tightly grip bottles. They're a bit expensive.

Elite Vico are new. Reviews are good. They also look good, with a design similar to the Custom Plus.
  • ollaay
    lesfirth wrote:
    How do you define "best"? Does value for money come into this or is common sense missing here.
    i.e Pretty much how cool they look
    And holds bottles in :lol:
  • The Cannondale cages are quite descent
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ollaay
    DonBoogie wrote:
    Arundel Mandibles look cool and tightly grip bottles. They're a bit expensive.

Elite Vico are new. Reviews are good. They also look good, with a design similar to the Custom Plus.
    Goodness me they are expensive, but yeah the elite ones look good
  • Fenix wrote:

I replaced all my elite cages with Tacx. So much better looking, plus the Celeste for Bianchi’s match very well and so much easier to locate without looking down.
  • ollaay
    The Cannondale cages are quite descent
    Just seen a black one with green writing and its carbon.. you may be onto a winner
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    ollaay wrote:
    DonBoogie wrote:

The Arundel Mandibles are the best cages out there, period. They grip much better than anything else and are as light as they come at the same time.

Pretty sure they weren't always that expensive, I guess they've just realised they can charge that for them because of demand based on experience.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Elite Custom Race cages brilliant. That is if you can cope with them being made of a composite 'glass' fiber and not carbon.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • ollaay
    neeb wrote:
    ollaay wrote:
    DonBoogie wrote:

The Arundel Mandibles are the best cages out there, period. They grip much better than anything else and are as light as they come at the same time.

Pretty sure they weren't always that expensive, I guess they've just realised they can charge that for them because of demand based on experience.
    For sure I think exactly that, pricey for what they are but spend thousands on a bike so why not.
    Just picked up a pair of Arundel Mandibles as it happens! Off a member on here can't wait to fit them.
  • ollaay
    kirkee wrote:
    Elite Custom Race cages brilliant. That is if you can cope with them being made of a composite 'glass' fiber and not carbon.
    Have had these in the past and 0 problems, currently on my other bike aswell.
  • kirkee wrote:

I’ve got a shed load of them now just collecting dust. I removed them all for better ones. Ie Tacx
  • daniel_b
    This thread made me look at carbon cages, and I just discovered the blackburn cinch. Surprisingly the black and yellow one appeals most.

Blackburn-Cinch-Carbon-Fibre-Bottle-Cage.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    https://www.carbonworks.de/?lang=en

I’ve not tried so can’t vouch for them, but at some point I’m going to test one
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    Stueys wrote:
    https://www.carbonworks.de/?lang=en

I’ve not tried so can’t vouch for them, but at some point I’m going to test one

Like the look (and weight) of that one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    That CarbonWorks cage looks awesome. I have Bontrager XXX Cage, 16 grams and less than £30 in the sales, couldn't really justify spending the 65 euros to save 11 grams.

I also like the look of the CarbonWorks cockpit mount, but not sure it would work with my Lezyne Super GPS though. I've already snapped the Lezyne Out Front Mount as the Lezyne locking system is a bit more "secure" than Garmins - takes a bit of a push and a turn to release it.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I have the Arundel Mandibles on my CX bike and have used them for years. Never had an issue and still look great.

On my race bike, I have Tune Wasserträger 2.0’s. Very light at about 10g each, but come at a silly price.

If you’re not 100% a weight weenie, I’d go for the Mandibles.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    i've used the tune cages for nearly 2 years, not had a bottle shift even taking rough road surface at 50-60kph, really impressed with them

afaik they are cheaper than the arundel mandible

i got mine here... https://www.bike24.com/p2228483.html ...used bike24 many times, always had excellent service
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • daniel_b
    w00dster wrote:
    That CarbonWorks cage looks awesome. I have Bontrager XXX Cage, 16 grams and less than £30 in the sales, couldn't really justify spending the 65 euros to save 11 grams.

I also like the look of the CarbonWorks cockpit mount, but not sure it would work with my Lezyne Super GPS though. I've already snapped the Lezyne Out Front Mount as the Lezyne locking system is a bit more "secure" than Garmins - takes a bit of a push and a turn to release it.

It does doesn't it, am severely tempted - might set one as a weight loss reward when I reach a certain amount!
    Didn't even notice the out front mount, not wholly sure how it fits, and also not sure if it would accomodate a Garmin 1000, suspecting not.

What a shame the pound is now not far off parity with the euro :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    I've bought Tune's bottle cages. They are very secure. No way that a bottle will slip out of it, and with the added benefit of a true claimed weight from the manufacturer.

Weighted at home:

Tune%20bottle%20cage.jpg?raw=1