Wilier Jareen M or L

DefUnctUK
DefUnctUK Posts: 38
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice or guidance please. I have wanted to get a gravel bike for a while and have chosen the Wilier Jareen (i ride a Wilier road bike and love it). I went to the only dealer in my area yesterday, who had both an M and an L in the shop. He took one look at me (176cm tall, but longer legs - 86cm inseam) and said the L should be better.

We tried the L, and still had the seatpost (350mm) at max, but otherwise i seemed to fit ok - the Shimano shifters have longer hoods, so i was a little stretched a little, but was told going from a 11 to 9 cm stem would sort out that.

I also wanted to try the M - so they did, with the 350mm seatpost at max, it was still not enough for my long legs and the drop seemed larger.

I should be picking up the L today, but when asking a friend who deals wiliers abroad, he seemed to think an M with longer seatpost would work better (the bike shop said it would be too much seatpost / top heavy)

I currently ride an izoard XP road bike (110mm stem) with:

Stack 545
Reach 385

The Jareen M has:

Stack 576
Reach 380

The Jareen L has:

Stack 595
Reach 387

I like the idea of more stack on a gravel bike, comfortable ride less drop, but am concerned the effective top tube on the Jareen L i have been suggested would work is 2.5cm longer than my current Wilier Izoard top tube. To add to this, i have in the past comfortable ridden a Trek 1000, 56cm, with 562mm top tube and shorter stem, but that had a slightly shorter wheelbase.

Wilier sizing table seems to put me on L (depending on which you look, some M or L) and so does the wiggle.com table.

Any advice is welcome :-) should be picking it up today so just want to be as informed as possible before i bite the bullet.

The Jareen Geometry is available here: https://www.wilier.com/en/products/int/gravel/jareen

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I would go large for a more upright position, flipping the 110mm stem to a positive angle will reduce bar reach by ~8mm, if the default stem is +/-7 degrees.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Do you have longer than normal arms?

Bit of a tricky one. I'm 1.5cm taller with the same inseam. Have my gravel bike currently setup with a little under 600mm stack. I could lower the front end a bit and still be fine, however that height is pretty good for all day rides.

I'd think it would be nice to have the higher stack option on the L, but you'd need to run a shorter stem, looking at those antlers on the front.
  • Do you have longer than normal arms?

Bit of a tricky one. I'm 1.5cm taller with the same inseam. Have my gravel bike currently setup with a little under 600mm stack. I could lower the front end a bit and still be fine, however that height is pretty good for all day rides.

I'd think it would be nice to have the higher stack option on the L, but you'd need to run a shorter stem, looking at those antlers on the front.

Hi, thanks, makes sense. Yes i have a pretty big ape index, so i think longer arms. What top tube length do you have please and what size frame do you ride?
  • Due to my 34" inseam/long femurs and shortish arms (64cm/forearm 33.5cm) I best fit on a bike with a low 360mm reach.
    (I make note of gravel frames with a 74 degree seat tube and approx 530 Effective Top Tube).

An agressive roadbike fit; I'm good on a stack around 550 or so (I can get down low on the bike).

The gravel bike frame is 363mm reach / stack 580. Currently set up with 20mm spacers to get that approx 600 for my all day exploring rides. Saddle height 76cm or so.

Would rather have that extra frame stack so I can drop the front end down a bit when I want, rather than have to set up a high angled stem if I wanted to run a tall front.

Regarding the reach; my bike is setup with non-hydraulic hoods, so the hand reach isn't as extended.

^
    There's the main difference between you and I: your long arms.
  • I know this thread is a couple of years old now, but I'm considering the Jareen too.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-jareen-race-tiagra-gravel-bike-179193.html

How have you got on with it? How are the alloy forks, tiagra groupset etc?

Thanks