29er Mixed Use Tyre Recommendations Please

Witterings
Witterings Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in MTB general
I'm looking for a good mixed use tyre for terrain flat terrain that's split pretty evenly between road ( ideally like realtively low rolling resistance) and gravel tracks that get slightly lumpy in places ... although there are a couple of patches that with the weather we've had over the last couple of weeks are about 200 mtrs long that are shallow but slippery mud so whilst I'm not looking for something designed to excel in those conditions, I don't want something that will just slip away from me too easily and dump me in the mud instead :o

I've also just had 3 flats in 2 rides, the other was literally riding the bike 50 yds down our lane to check it after I'd repaired the 1st flat having left it overnight to make sure it hadn't gone down so looking for something with reasonable puncture protection as well.

Some of the ones I've seen mentioned when googling / reviews / other forums are:

Maxxis Ardents ... or are they heading too much towards mainly for mud or are they good on road as well and what sort of puncture protection do they have.

The Schwalbe Rock Razor Evo Super Gravity Trailstar came top of one Bike Radar's comparisons ... although I tend to take some of those reviews with a pinch of salt.

The Schwalbe Smart Sam's which are available as standard or the plus with extra puncture protection ... although again I wondered if they were aimed more at regular cycling in mud and maybe not quite so road friendly and also saw a comment saying some of the high protection level ones are pretty horrible / bone shaky to ride on gravel surfaces.

If anyone has any experience with any of those and comments on them or other alternative suggestions would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Thought it might be worth adding in the current tyre is 2.2 width and tubed rather than tubeless and initially it's for the rear.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Kenda Small Block 8 (Sometimes listed as an SB8), it sounds perfect for your usage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Have a look at the Kenda Small Block 8 (Sometimes listed as an SB8), it sounds perfect for your usage.

Cheers I'll take a look at those :D
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    S Works Renegades good for mixed use, ideally need them setup tubeless though as they are quite light/thin. Rutland had them for £15 each in the sale a while ago, not sure if still available.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    The Rookie wrote:
    +1 for SmallBlock 8. Cracking tyre that I used to use on the back at Coed y Brenin and good on rocky terrain.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Conti race kings or schwalbe racing Ralph's are the obvious choice and run them tubeless if your wheels allow.

I have this last week swapped to IRC mythos tyres and these are nice and quick and grippy too. I like them off road too. I like the race kings too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I run a Rocket Ron on the rear of mine all year round. It is definitely not a mud tyre but copes in general winter conditions. I race it - also fast on hardpack.

A rock razor would be good on most of the stuff you mention....even less winter capable than the ron though. Wouldn't bother with the Gravity version unless you are hammering through rocks. My snakeskin version is just fine.