jumping on 6 and 7th sprockets

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi, had my bike in for a service and had a new chain fitted, Took it out tonight for first spin and when put the power down when in thr 6th and 7th sprockets (10 speed campy veloce) it seems to kind of jump a link and jump or just jump a bit. Happens when eithe in big or small chainrings. When jsut spining the gear it is ok, just when put power down and sprint it jumps. What is the problem so i can go in prepared when take bike back in tomorrow

Comments

• Probably worn cassette
  • cassette only done approx 1500 miles and was working fine before chain was replaced
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They did a sh1t job?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    They did a sh1t job?

Well certainly not happy customer here, especially seeing as it is quite a big "LBS" and highly regarded.

Does it sound like the cassette is gubbed?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who knows, could just be crappy indexing. Cruddy cables, worn cassette (worn enough to not mesh with new chain).

Just learn to DIY, bikes don't need servicing, they need regular routine maintenance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A worn cassette would work well with a worn chain. You only realise the cassette's worn when you fit a new chain and it jumps under power.

1500 miles isn't a lot, but not unheard of. More likely if it's all winter miles / no guards.

I'd guess a new cassette would sort it.
  • yip, new cassette it was. Decently though the shop replaced it free of charge with cost price replacement so can't complain too much