Dry January

joe2008
joe2008 Posts: 1,531
edited February 2018 in The cake stop
Anybody else do it?

Comments

  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    I failed by 00:01 on January 1st.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I failed by 00:01 on January 1st.

    About covers it
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,636
    Done. Celebrating now with a couple of beers.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I'm basically teetotal most of the time, so dry January is a piece of piss for me, especially as, in common with most of the population, I'm skint for all of January!!!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No.

    Utter waste of time. I enjoy a drink occasionally - not a pissss head, just like a drink - so why should I?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I sure did,the gin was great.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I hardly drink, so it's irrelevant to me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993
    See my post in trivial things that annoy you for my answer.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,857
    Drat, just realised it's the 1st of Feb :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Can you fail miserably, if you were never trying in the first place? In the whole of January and the week from Christmas to New Year I think I drank more alcohol than in the first 51 weeks of 2017.

    No particular reason for it, like I didn't do it deliberately but several events fell into place over that period - sisters wedding, boozy funeral (it's what she'd have wanted), NY eve off work for the first time in a few years, time off over Xmas for the first time in a few years. Just how things came into place really.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    Was in a pub last night and it was rammed, why weren't these people supporting their local hostelry in January?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Was in a pub last night and it was rammed, why weren't these people supporting their local hostelry in January?

    I'm off to the Somers Town Coffee House tonight and I'm expecting it to be 5 deep at the bar with virtuous January abstainers.

    "If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it. If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt."
    Peter O'Toole
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    no I was supporting Tryanuary instead https://www.tryanuary.com/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I just drank as I normally do ... not much, if any ... although I did have a glass or two each night on our ski trip ... well - it was included with the dinner - so would be rude not to ...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    awavey wrote:
    no I was supporting Tryanuary instead https://www.tryanuary.com/
    That sounds like a good idea. I was off the booze for a couple of weeks in January and I felt absolutely dreadful, could be because I had the plague though.
  • Tryanuary is a good idea, which I sort of shun endorsing because I always think it islinked to CAMRA. And I have different views to CAMRA on many things.
    I always at least try and maintain my drinking in January, and hopefully increase it. Publicans need you.
    And I've always found that with driving duties etc, December is fairly light on consumption, anyway.
    Cheers!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I was off the booze for a couple of weeks in January and I felt absolutely dreadful, could be because I had the plague though.

    You sound like an alcoholic in denial
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I was off the booze for a couple of weeks in January and I felt absolutely dreadful, could be because I had the plague though.

    You sound like an alcoholic in denial
    Nice one Coopster, you bring it down. V68 likes a pint, and has been poorly lately. Once better, he went for a beer with some mates. And your point is what, exactly?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was off the booze for a couple of weeks in January and I felt absolutely dreadful, could be because I had the plague though.

    You sound like an alcoholic in denial
    Nice one Coopster, you bring it down. V68 likes a pint, and has been poorly lately. Once better, he went for a beer with some mates. And your point is what, exactly?
    Is I’ve given up alcohol and I’m now a grumpy tw*t
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,412
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was off the booze for a couple of weeks in January and I felt absolutely dreadful, could be because I had the plague though.

    You sound like an alcoholic in denial
    Nice one Coopster, you bring it down. V68 likes a pint, and has been poorly lately. Once better, he went for a beer with some mates. And your point is what, exactly?
    I have friends and he’s jealous.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Tryanuary is a good idea, which I sort of shun endorsing because I always think it islinked to CAMRA. And I have different views to CAMRA on many things.
    I always at least try and maintain my drinking in January, and hopefully increase it. Publicans need you.
    And I've always found that with driving duties etc, December is fairly light on consumption, anyway.
    Cheers!

    its definitely not a CAMRA thing afaik, it was created by a guy from Manchester,who used to write a blog called hoponthebike which was about beer and cycling round to breweries :) though I think its been taken on by the craftbeerhour team now. as obviously as its been running for a few years beginning to take on a life of its own, as it gets adopted more and more.

    so CAMRA members may support it,some CAMRA branches may promote it so that it seems CAMRA are involved, but its independent & raises money for charity too, so its all good :D
  • Awavey - sounds great to me, and happy to be corrected. Anytime I see you guys on the road, the beers are on me.
    And that includes Coopster. Take care out there chaps - we cyclists need all the help we can get.
    Ecrasez l’infame