Chain catchers

meds6974
meds6974 Posts: 28
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Chain catchers , whats the general consensus ? Do i need one ? Is there any particular one that is better than others ? I know it straight forward but please inform the uninformed ...

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I need one! Shimano 105, changing from big to little, every now and then the chain comes off. Potential for a nasty case of chain suck.
    They're pretty much hidden out of the way, weigh very little and could save a lot of hassle.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I have a Rotor one, it's on the bike but it's never been needed.

No harm in having it on there and it was only a fiver as the shop put the wrong price on it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I have one, you need to set them up correctly though for them to work you need the gap between the smaller chainring with the chain on it to be small enough it wont catch but not so big the chain can slip through.
    Also make sure its done up tight the chain will try an slap through with a fair amount of tension from your pedal stroke and the mech spring.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have a Rotor one, it's on the bike but it's never been needed.

How do you know?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have Deda Dog Fangs on both bikes. The CR1 frameset came with one supplied in the box. Seems like a sensible precaution.

No idea if they've ever averted a dropped chain. No obvious abrasions if they have
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    I bought one after the chain came off and ate some paintwork. Not sure if it's been required since then, apart from a few weeks ago when I came off the bike - the chain came off, but was held up by the chain catcher. Worth having for peace of mind imo.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    JBVRV wrote:
    I bought one after the chain came off and ate some paintwork. Not sure if it's been required since then, apart from a few weeks ago when I came off the bike - the chain came off, but was held up by the chain catcher. Worth having for peace of mind imo.

I agree and I had almost the same experiences. Now I have a Deda Dog Fang on one bike and a K Edge on another. IMHO for the amount of money they cost, there's not a lot of reason not to.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Never used one - chain comes off once a flood.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The Dog Fangs are good but won't fit a lot of modern carbon frames where the seat tube flares out towards the bottom bracket.

Had one of the other kind (K edge) on another bike. Grest until one day when my chain came off and somehow was forced in between chain catcher and chain ring. Was impossible to get out by hand and as I didn't have a 3mm Allen key to remove the chain catcher the ride was over.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    MrB123 wrote:
    The Dog Fangs are good but won't fit a lot of modern carbon frames where the seat tube flares out towards the bottom bracket.

That's true. Mine wouldn't go low enough on the CR1 when I fitted a triple chainset.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    MrB123 wrote:

Had one of the other kind (K edge) on another bike. Grest until one day when my chain came off and somehow was forced in between chain catcher and chain ring. Was impossible to get out by hand and as I didn't have a 3mm Allen key to remove the chain catcher the ride was over.

Exactly the same for me, four mile walk home.