New disc brakes

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys, i need your advice to replace my Magura MT2 on my Felt seven thirty, that even if the mechanic removed the air after a few days happened the same. He told me that they are not reliable at all and he advised me to replace them with some shimanos.

I am mostly a roadie, i am using my MTB for some cross country but not really heavy use. What brakes do you suggest that will be reliable and safe enough without braking the bank?

Comments

• Shimano of almost any flavour from Deore upwards. SLX (M7000 I think it is) are excellent but even the Deores are great brakes and ridiculous VFM.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Deore m615 would be a good choice or if you see an offer on the Slx m7000 to buy those.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming new.

Shimano Deore, SLX or XT depending on your budget. I have all three on different bikes and all work well, just get a bit more adjustment as you go up the range. And use mineral oil not DOT fluid, which I prefer.

But I'm sure someone will be along to recommend Sram or Hope in due course.

Or after my slow typing and seeing posts in the meantime, maybe not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Deore m615 would probably be better than the mt2's you're taking off. I think generally they're more reliable than the newer model Deore, or the Alex or DT models which have had some issues forca fair number of people.

Hope area bit spendy for what you say youbhsevtgem for. Personally I like Sram Guides - and there's a new cheaper 'Guide T' model out - but I expect they're still more than deores. They have better modulation though and you get a 4 pot calipers with a lovely 1 finger brake lever.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I was looking at deore but went with a set of sram level TL, seem good and not crazy expensive.
    Comming from a set of cable disks though, I don't really have any meaningful comparison.