Tapered Fork and Bearing seating

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited February 2018 in Workshop
I'm building a bike from scratch for the first time and having some difficulty to understand one thing.

Do the bottom bearing sits without any crown race on some forks? Namely the ones with an angle at the steerer/fork joint? (as the one I'm posting bellow)

I've measured all things up and bought the accordingly bottom bearing, but as you can see it sits a couple of mm above the fork/steerer joint, and even if I had a crown race, the bearing would never seat on it since it has no inner space to accommodate it.

Any insight would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tifosi%20Fork%201.jpg?raw=1

Comments

• naavt
    anyone?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unless a crown race was supplied with the headset (assuming this is a new frame), then it probably doesn't need one as the race is integrated into the steerer.

You probably won't see the gap when the fork is fitted, as the lower bearing is likely to be recessed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like the wrong bearing to me, crown race or not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What make and model of frame and fork is it?
    Did you buy the bearing based on this or just the measurements?
    How did you measure, i.e. what tool?

My Giant carbon frame and fork has a similar setup with the conical bearing not sitting on the floor of the crown.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't see the pic cos at work.

Sometimes a frameset comes with a headset which includes a crown race, even though it's not needed because the fork has one built in.

You need to check with the frame / fork manufacturer
  • naavt
    keef66 wrote:

Sometimes a frameset comes with a headset which includes a crown race, even though it's not needed because the fork has one built in.

• naavt
    Imposter wrote:
    Unless a crown race was supplied with the headset (assuming this is a new frame), then it probably doesn't need one as the race is integrated into the steerer.

You probably won't see the gap when the fork is fitted, as the lower bearing is likely to be recessed.

This is a new frame, but it came without headset.

You’re right. I really don’t see the gap when the fork is fitted but nevertheless I find it weird for the bearing to sit above the floor of the crown.

When you say, “the race is integrated” are you talking about that 36º angle that the steerer has as a joint between fork and steerer tube?

cooldad wrote:
    Looks like the wrong bearing to me, crown race or not.

Can you share the reasons why?

champson wrote:
    What make and model of frame and fork is it?
    Did you buy the bearing based on this or just the measurements?
    How did you measure, i.e. what tool?

My Giant carbon frame and fork has a similar setup with the conical bearing not sitting on the floor of the crown.

It’s a Tifosi Auriga 2018, same forks.

I’ve bought the bearings based on measurements I’ve made with a digital caliper.

That’s good to know. So there’s some hope that everything is perfect with this bearing right?

keef66 wrote:

So probably I’ll call Tifosi to make this clearer.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If that’s a brand new fork I’d get it replaced as the paint finish around the brake mounts is awful...

PP
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,701
    It doesn't look right to me, but I'm not an expert. My bike has a tapered fork and the lower bearing sits lower than that I'm sure, but I built it three years ago so could be wrong. Additionally I had the peace of mind that the frameset came with the bearings and also if I wasn't sure could check against the specs listed on the manufacturers website. Had a quick look at the Tifosi website and they don't seem to list what bearings should be used. If they are prepared to sell the frame and forks they really should tell you what you need to build it up.
    It may be the right bearing, but I'd want to check it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    naavt wrote:
    You’re right. I really don’t see the gap when the fork is fitted but nevertheless I find it weird for the bearing to sit above the floor of the crown.

So long as the bearing sits comfortably in the head tube and the 'gap' between fork and head tube remains minimal, then it's probably fine.
    naavt wrote:
    When you say, “the race is integrated” are you talking about that 36º angle that the steerer has as a joint between fork and steerer tube?

Yes, what I mean is that there is effectively no crown race as such. The lower bearing will just sit directly on the base of the steerer.

Although, if you bought the bearings yourself, then it's possible that they are not the correct ones anyway. Might be, might not. Tifosi should be able to give you the specs.
  • veronese68
    Imposter wrote:
    Although, if you bought the bearings yourself, then it's possible that they are not the correct ones anyway. Might be, might not. Tifosi should be able to give you the specs.
    This. The angle of the inside of the bearing should match the angle on the fork. If the fork is 36' the bearing should be too. Same applies with the outer bearing and the frame. Best to check what the spec should be.
  • naavt
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    If that’s a brand new fork I’d get it replaced as the paint finish around the brake mounts is awful...

PP

I agree that in the picture it jumps out, but let me say to you that I went to a LBS nearby to try to solve this bearing issue and they awed at the frame. Quoting the owner: “I’ve seen frames from very respectful manufacturers costing twice as much looking much worse in comparison”.

Anyway. Called Tifosi and it seems that I’ve nailed the internal bearing angle wrong. The dimensions seems right but I’ve bought a 36 degree angle when it should be 45.

Nonetheless, the bearing will always sit some mm above the floor of the fork. There’s no way that a difference of 9 degrees will make it sit much lower than what’s in the picture.

On the other hand, if the bearing was to sit just above the floor, I suspect that anyone could see it trough the gap between fork and head tube frame, and that would also be a weird thing right?
  • veronese68
    naavt wrote:
    Anyway. Called Tifosi and it seems that I’ve nailed the internal bearing angle wrong. The dimensions seems right but I’ve bought a 36 degree angle when it should be 45.

Nonetheless, the bearing will always sit some mm above the floor of the fork. There’s no way that a difference of 9 degrees will make it sit much lower than what’s in the picture.
    The important thing is the angles match so as not to put all the stress on too small an area. With the wrong angle there is a point being pressed into the steerer, with a matched angle it is a flat surface against a flat surface.
  • naavt
    Veronese68 wrote:
    naavt wrote:

The important thing is the angles match so as not to put all the stress on too small an area. With the wrong angle there is a point being pressed into the steerer, with a matched angle it is a flat surface against a flat surface.

Yes you’re right. Bought an Enduro 45x45 degrees bearing online. It is 7mm tall instead of the 6,5 from my BBB, which is 36x45. Hope to nail it this time.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    naavt wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

I agree that in the picture it jumps out, but let me say to you that I went to a LBS nearby to try to solve this bearing issue and they awed at the frame. Quoting the owner: “I’ve seen frames from very respectful manufacturers costing twice as much looking much worse in comparison”.

Well, if I’d bought one for twice the price I’d still send it back... :roll:

That paint is going to start chipping and flaking away around the brake mounts in no time.

PP
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I had a similar issue with my Planet X Maratona fork. I initially bought a lower bearing with the wrong internal shape. The correct shaped one still sat above the fork but once torqued down correctly the gap between the headtube and fork was only about 1mm
  • naavt
    edited February 2018
    A friend just told me that he find it weird for the bearing seat in the fork without any o'ring bellow it to prevent dirt from coming into the bearing from bellow.

Can anyone verify this for me? Are these kind of forks assembled with a lower o'ring under the bearing?
  • I've the same set up on one of my bikes. There's no O ring and there is a small gap between frame and forks but the bearings are shielded.

The bikes done a couple of thousand miles in the worst weather over the past few months and everything's fine.
  • naavt
    paulbnix wrote:
    I had a similar issue with my Planet X Maratona fork. I initially bought a lower bearing with the wrong internal shape. The correct shaped one still sat above the fork but once torqued down correctly the gap between the headtube and fork was only about 1mm
    I've the same set up on one of my bikes. There's no O ring and there is a small gap between frame and forks but the bearings are shielded.

The bikes done a couple of thousand miles in the worst weather over the past few months and everything's fine.

Very good to know. Thank you both for your explanations.