Gear cable upgrade

skiffy
skiffy Posts: 84
edited February 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
My bike's getting a bit old school in a few departments now but not being in a position to renew right now I'm wanting to get it improved as best I can. It's a 2010 model and the last of the exposed cabling models before everything went internal. Keeping things shifting nicely in all the muck at the moment is a constant battle and I wouldn't mind converting to an all enclosed cable. Does anyone make cable mounts the fit into the existing ferules on the frame? And what would vote on for the best cable? (XT gearing).

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano SP41 outer (can normally buy fairly cheaply through CRC by the metre - I get 10m at a time) and decent stainless steel inner cables, again Shimano are good.

I have some mounts that fit the existing cable mounts, I've tried aluminium ones and plastic - they are both pretty rubbish.

I'd stick with exposed cables.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • skiffy
    skiffy Posts: 84
    cooldad wrote:
    Shimano SP41 outer (can normally buy fairly cheaply through CRC by the metre - I get 10m at a time) and decent stainless steel inner cables, again Shimano are good.

I have some mounts that fit the existing cable mounts, I've tried aluminium ones and plastic - they are both pretty rubbish.

I'd stick with exposed cables.

Yeah that's what I have but find myself unhooking the outers so I can slide them up and down to clean and lube the cables every other ride to get them as friction free as possible, and even then I find the rear derailleur doesn't respond precisely enough to the shifter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use a quality end cap, makes a lot of difference, my bikes have used Jagwire outer and caps for a long time, no issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buying an SP41 (often advertised as XT - same thing) kit instead of the bits gives some decent end caps with little tongues. The short ones normally. I just buy bits separately, and replace regularly.

Like this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod131112
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Use a quality end cap, makes a lot of difference, my bikes have used Jagwire outer and caps for a long time, no issue.

Are these the same size so will fit shimano sp41 etc?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usually best to match end cap with cables as the outer diameter is not a standard.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.