Sensible Canyon or more expensive flashy Specialized?

Oshrice
Oshrice Posts: 7
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all, first time poster here. I'm looking to upgrade my current bike (Cube Peloton Race Alu) as I've reached the limitations of this machine and need something lighter, with better performance for spring & summer weekend club rides, Regents Park laps and twice a year heading out to the mountains in the Pyrenees. (I will keep the Cube for Autumn/winter riding so the new bike will be fair weather only)

I have two dilemmas: Sensible Vs. good looking, plus whether to go disc or no disc.

The bikes:

Sensible - Canyon ULTIMATE CF SLX 8.0 DI2 | Carbon, good wheels, Ultegra Di2 & 7KG | £3,799

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0-di2.html

Flashy - SPECIALIZED TARMAC SL6 PRO ROAD BIKE 2018 | Carbon, looks great, good wheels, Ultegra Di2 & 7KG | £5,400

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Tarmac-SL6-Pro-Road-Bike-2018/G09T

As far as I can tell, the only difference between them is that the Specialized looks nice (frame & paint job) but is this worth an additional £1.5k? The Specialized is meant to ride extremely well however, I won’t get a chance to test the Canyon out before buying.

Disc Vs. caliper?

The disc version of each of these bikes adds a further 0.5KG onto the weight; but not a great deal of cost. Am I better off waiting until my next bike to jump into disc brakes, or do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks already? I have issues climbing (because, fat b*stard) already (especially in the mountains for 20km at a time) so adding more weight is not top of my priorities.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How do you mean you have issues climbing ? Would a compact chainset not be a good idea if you want the lower gears ?

Both those come with 52-36.

Only you can decide if the sparkly paint on the spesh is worth £1500 to you.

Personally I'd stay with rim brakes and then you can at least swap wheels between the bikes in a push.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Canyon are having some sort of demo day coming up at Brooklands soon, can't remember where I read it unfortunately but they probably have something on their website.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Just wondering if there is any reason for the disparity in budget between bikes? Is it just comparing like for like spec? If you look at other Canyon's closer in budget to the Specialized, then you'll get a higher spec and lighter bike.
    The Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 LTD is one example, expensive but great components. The Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro, again lightweight and good spec. It would be the Canyon for me, as good as I'm sure the Specialized is, the value seems to be more on the Canyon side. I'd also show the missus the Tarmac first, then the next day say "I've decided to save some money and be sensible", show her the £4.4k Canyon I listed and she'll see it as a bargain.
    As mentioned above, if you are struggling on the hills, the light bike won't help as much as having appropriate gearing. 50/34 and a 32 cassette. I'm faster up a 50 minute climb on my heavy disc brake bike (9kgs) with compact and 11-32, than I am on my race bike which is 6.5kgs but has 52-38 and 11-28. Not only am I quicker up the climb, but I'm also relatively fresh at the top.
  • clc2005
    clc2005 Posts: 186
    Canyon CF SLX is a World Tour level frame whereas the Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro is not and the bike is £1.6k more expensive.

Furthermore, I won't be recommending Specialized until they get me some new replacement Forks for my MY2018 Allez which were recalled mid Dec 2017.
  • Although I have an sl5 s-works tarmac and am very happy with it, I'd find it hard to justify the price of that pro sl6 only specced with ultegra di2.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Remember Canyon are D2C, so no cut for a middleman retailer.
    Specialized bikes tend (IMO) to be overpriced anyway for what you get, and the brand is very commonly seen.
    Go for the Canyon - far better value, more exclusive.
  • Well that's one hell of an upgrade, whichever you choose!

At the end of the day, it's you that has to look at it, and ride it, but for me there's nothing overly 'sensible' about that Canyon - I much prefer the looks to the Spesh. And the price difference is surely a deal breaker (it would be for me, but then again I can't afford either!).
    If you have the budget for the Spesh, then buy the Canyon and spend the difference on a fortnight in (insert sunny European cycling haven here).

Rim or disc? The industry seems to be going in the disc direction more and more these days, but given that it's going to be a fair weather bike, then I can't see why you would need disc? I have hydro disc for winter/crap weather, and rim brakes on the summer bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'd have the Tarmac every day - but then I have one (albeit a little older!).

Rim vs Disc - you said you're big and intend to do mountains (if only twice a year) - I'd go disc - hydro disc if you can - I've found that the performance is more uniform across weather conditions than rim brakes - and coming down a mountain - I'd rather have discs than rely on rims - not that rims don't work, they do ... just feel discs give a better experience.
  • A few things:

You really haven't reached the limits of your Cube. There's nothing in the weight of that bike that's stopping you do anything. You just want a new bike.

Why have you limited your search to two bikes? As someone has already said, get out and ride a few and then decide based on which one is the most comfortable. Take some time out and pop to a decent shop (I can recommend some down South but from your post it seems that you are London based) and try some - they'll make sure you get the right spec and fit it properly.

Again, as has already been said, hydro discs in the mountains but also the benefit of only wearing pads and not a very expensive wheel rim' braking surface.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Canyon and rims.

Ridden for years in the Abruzzo mountains (as used by the Giro) and never needed discs.

Why add weight, cost and complication to something?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    £5400 for an Ultegra bike seems very toppy to me....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    A budget of £5500 and all you can come up with is a Canyon and a Specialized?

So many other options out there.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • clc2005 wrote:
    Canyon CF SLX is a World Tour level frame whereas the Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro is not and the bike is £1.6k more expensive.

Bora-Hansgrohe and Team Quick Step Floors would disagree
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gweeds
    clc2005 wrote:

Bora-Hansgrohe and Team Quick Step Floors would disagree

Well they’re riding the pricier S-Works frames but I doubt most of us could tell if we actually rode them.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Easily the Canyon.

-But personally I would take a look at the kuota kiral di2
  • For that price i'd go used c60 or maybe the look huez
  • Canyon every day of the week for me. The D2C model means you get a pro level frame at a decent price. As a previous poster has said, if you're looking at £5k+ Spesh you could pretty much get the top of the line Canyon for the equivalent. Re disc or not, if this is your only bike come rain or shine, then go disc as you'll get the benefit in the wet.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    My LBS has that Specialized in store and it's beautiful.

Personally I prefer Specialized over canyon, so for that reason I'd go Specialized.
    Plus I know the Spesh geometry fits me really well.
  • Not sure what size you are, but if you like the Canyon and are willing to spend the Spesh money, how about this?
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/factory-ou ... 0&id=25282
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    We hear a lot of talk about riders struggling to maintain a decent tempo when the road rears up. For anyone running a Shimano double up front, it's worth considering the new sub compact road ovals from absoluteBLACK. For a lot of riders looking to for a bit of faster spin (especially in lumpy terrain) the slightly lower ratios 30/46 and 32/48 can be a big help.
    https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-road-chai ... -110-4bcd/

Wow - what a great idea.

Any idea where I can get one?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gweeds
    We hear a lot of talk about riders struggling to maintain a decent tempo when the road rears up. For anyone running a Shimano double up front, it's worth considering the new sub compact road ovals from absoluteBLACK. For a lot of riders looking to for a bit of faster spin (especially in lumpy terrain) the slightly lower ratios 30/46 and 32/48 can be a big help.
    https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-road-chai ... -110-4bcd/

Wow - what a great idea.

Any idea where I can get one?

:lol:
  • Dump the dull Canyon and if you want an over-priced bike buy an Italian frame.

Tifosi Mons.

British bling at a great price.
  • gweeds
    Dump the dull Canyon and if you want an over-priced bike buy an Italian frame.

Tifosi Mons.

By British you mean an open-mould Chinese frame with a Union Jack slapped on it?
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Every day of the week and twice on Sunday I’d go for this...

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-teammac ... e-EV302691

Or this....

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-teammac ... e-EV302687

I have both a BMC SLR01 and the Canyon CF SLX 8.0. Both awesome bikes. There isn’t that much to choose between them but Canyon seems a little dull - I find myself wanting to ride the BMC all the time.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dump the dull Canyon and if you want an over-priced bike buy an Italian frame.

Tifosi Mons.

I'm confused. Do you mean British Italian or Chinese ?

As far as I know my bikes nationality has never affected the ride.