thursday what the eye don't see won't break the heart

2»

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Tell you the truth, I couldn’t inflict the Madone on any Bracketeers. I’d be embarrassed to lie and say it was actually fun to ride.

It’s a Trek.
    Ok if your off your head on drugs?
  • keef66 wrote:

I hear good things about Sonos, but at 60 I feel I have a lot of technology to catch up with. At the moment we have a loft full of vinyl but nothing to play them on, piles of CDs we can only play in the cars, and a DAB radio with a failing display and occasionally dodgy reception.

So we could dot the Sonos things around the house and they work over our wifi? And then get Spotify Premium on the iPad to stream virtually anything, radio included? Presumably they all need mains power? (I'm trying to anticipate potential locations for them, and avoid objections from my wife about visible wiring...)
    hopkinb wrote:
    Yes, they all need mains power. We have spotify premium, and yes, you can stream radio. I have a couple of the Play 1 units round the house and the Sonos streamer hooked up to my old Marantz amp and floorstanding speakers. Sound quality is fine, unless you're an audiophile, you won't notice the difference. Set up is really simple.

I hear good things about the soundbar, and the play 5 and play 3 as well, seeing as you have a bit of budget. Maybe the sound bar, and a pair of play 1s? Offers seem rare.

Agree with hoppy, I have a couple of play 1's, a play 3 and the soundbar.

Spotify premium on my iPhone as it generally follows me about the house. If you want it on the iPad that's fine too as you can have several controllers for the same set up.

If I had a grand to spend and wanted to upgrade the TV element then a play bar with two play 1's is doable, sonos have two x play 1's on for £349 at the moment (some email I got).

If you just want audio then the Play 3's are very good for the price and cost, mine was £250 and is the main speaker in use.

Play 5's start to look a bit cumbersome but if you have the shelf space then they'll be even better.

They'll never match a pure hifi set up but in our house I never get time to sit and listen, for me the ability to stream and have smaller speakers dotted about the place is much more important. Plus you can move them if the need arises which is a bit difficult with a fixed wired system.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Thanks lads,

Just been setting the wheels in motion to get things sorted although I will be cheeky and ask for a bit more cash on the basis that if you don't ask you don't get. I'll probably get told to sod off.

@keef - yep, I want the job and there is a healthy pay rise that probably puts me on Comrade Corbyns hit list if I wasn't there already. More work - probably but the current one is not too demanding now I've been doing it for 5 years. I actually get to drop a the non-tax bits that I was doing so swings and roundabouts. the new boss is pretty driven but he was my last boss when he was over here so its the devil you know. Also if I opted for the easy life and said no thanks, I'd get some random git recruited from outside as my new boss who will probably hate me and try to fire me.

Got to recruit my own successor here as well before I can start properly - Hoppy, fancy chucking your hat in the ring? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Got to recruit my own successor here as well before I can start properly - Hoppy, fancy chucking your hat in the ring? :)

We could go for pint or two, kick over what it involves, see if I'd potentially be a good fit. Things are looking decidedly shaky here, but I've been here so long that there would be a substantial payoff, which I'd be mad to ignore if the writing is indeed on the wall.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tell you the truth, I couldn’t inflict the Madone on any Bracketeers. I’d be embarrassed to lie and say it was actually fun to ride.

It’s a Trek.
    Ok if your off your head on drugs?

NOpe, not even then.

They must have paid him a shed load to ride something so bland for so long.

On a more positive note, TDL is looking lovely on BP today.

She's lovely.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We could go for pint or two, kick over what it involves, see if I'd potentially be a good fit. Things are looking decidedly shaky here, but I've been here so long that there would be a substantial payoff, which I'd be mad to ignore if the writing is indeed on the wall.

What about me and Pinno? We could job share. I'm sure we would be brilliant at it. Like Garry, but with numbers and stuff n tings.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    top stuff oxo.

new bike?
    Maybe. It might even have curly handlebars :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What about me and Pinno? We could job share. I'm sure we would be brilliant at it. Like Garry, but with numbers and stuff n tings.
    Well you know a bit about tax but that Pinno bloke...although having you two as my minions would definitely be an amusing turn of events :P
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

No harm in talking it through over a beer given the situation you're in, although take the point that you'd definitely want to make sure you get a lump sum on the way out if you can. We won't hang around too long though, as I will probably 'go global' after our year end is out the way (March y/e so late April start) and I won't want to be doing 2 jobs for long.

Drop me a PM to avoid us getting anti-anorak abuse from this mob :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    top stuff oxo.

new bike?

Nice.

Just make sure it isn’t a Trek.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well you know a bit about tax but that Pinno bloke...although having you two as my minions would definitely be an amusing turn of events :P

Would be a giggle until it all went wrong.

So that would be ten minutes of our lives gone.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tlw1
    keef66 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Standard answer, but spend the money on hookers and blow

It has to be an item, paid for by the company and physically given to me, within HMRC limits, and with a VAT receipt.

I can see a few problems with your suggestion...

Get them to buy you a new Bike, sell it to Stevo for a discounted price and use the money to buy hookers and blow

Win win
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    top stuff oxo.

new bike?

:)
  • Nice one Stevo, this calls for a cider! And not just a sguidgy bottle from the corner shop - how about some cans from a proper offy? Treat yerself.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    I'm nobody's bloody minion. Fark off.

Good one Steve. (Whatever it entails).

Me just tidied fireplace up. Update in PPP soon.

Fooked.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Cheers.

I don't need any more to drink right now :mrgreen:
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cheers.

Lightweight
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cheers.

Lightweight
    Not after being off the bike for the last fortnight...
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cheers.

Lightweight
    Congratulations on the new gig. Does this involve relocation to KOFFA for you?

Nearly done with our relocation here. Actual handover of keys etc is Monday. Had a final look through yesterday with current owners, and while I am pleased how much better it looks without all their cr@p in it, it still involves considerable work for us to tidy up and make the place "noice".

Heading out soon to pick up Mother's new car - a diesel VW Tiguan. Considered the petrol one, but at the end of the day she lives a little out of town and does most driving on country roads, so it should get a decent run most of the time. Plus I can borrow it regularly. Excellent. 8)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cheers.

Lightweight
    Congratulations on the new gig. Does this involve relocation to KOFFA for you?

Nearly done with our relocation here. Actual handover of keys etc is Monday. Had a final look through yesterday with current owners, and while I am pleased how much better it looks without all their cr@p in it, it still involves considerable work for us to tidy up and make the place "noice".

Heading out soon to pick up Mother's new car - a diesel VW Tiguan. Considered the petrol one, but at the end of the day she lives a little out of town and does most driving on country roads, so it should get a decent run most of the time. Plus I can borrow it regularly. Excellent. 8)
    Thanks Spinner. No relocation, which is just as well as I don't fancy living in Tokyo - but reasonably frequent trips over there and other places as needed. Could do with a few more air miles.

Good luck with the rest of the moving in Taz.