11 speed compatibility

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2018 in Road general
Hi, someone said that can run a wheel on shimano 11 speed cassette with campagnolo groupset no problems, the 11 speed groupset are compatible, is this correct

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes they are. The 11 speed cassettes of Shimano and Campagnolo have the same sprocket spacings and overall widths, so you can swap a Shimano wheel/freehub/11sp cassette with a Campagnolo wheel/freehub/11 speed cassette. Rest of the bike can be Shimano or Campag 11 speed, it doesn't matter.

The rear derailleur may need to be tweaked slightly due to wheel/freehub off set i.e. cable length.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Yep, you can’t run a Campagnolo cassette on a Shimano freehub though.
  • milemuncher1
  • milemuncher1
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Indeed (3 times), that's why I bundled wheel/freehub/11 speed cassette as all 3 of these need to be the same manufacturer.

More here http://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-shimano-a ... patiblity/
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • milemuncher1
    drlodge wrote:
    Indeed (3 times), that's why I bundled wheel/freehub/11 speed cassette as all 3 of these need to be the same manufacturer.

I’ve no idea what happened with the triple post there :lol:
  • shiznit76
    :lol:
    drlodge wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers. Yeah knew about cassette/freehub part, good to know I can run my shimano wheels on a campag set up,
  • Though I found Campagnolo chains and Shimano cassettes 11sp don’t always get along. Can be jumpy on the 11/12 cogs chain slips
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    There is a company that makes Campag spaced cassette to fit on Shimano free hubs.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shiznit76
    philthy3 wrote:
    There is a company that makes Campag spaced cassette to fit on Shimano free hubs.

Bit pricey?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    shiznit76 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Bit pricey?
    and virtually pointless.

Miche do something right?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philbar72 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Bit pricey?
    and virtually pointless.

Not really no. It may be that 11 speed has seen the spacing between Shimano/SRAM and Campag cassettes now be the same. A 10 speed Veloce set up someone has wouldn't work with a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Rather than fork out for a change of wheels, the cost of the Ambrosio cassette was a cheap option. Shifting then worked as normal.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    philthy3 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Bit pricey?
    and virtually pointless.

Not really no. It may be that 11 speed has seen the spacing between Shimano/SRAM and Campag cassettes now be the same. A 10 speed Veloce set up someone has wouldn't work with a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Rather than fork out for a change of wheels, the cost of the Ambrosio cassette was a cheap option. Shifting then worked as normal.

I use an Ambrosio Shimano splined Campag spaced 10 speed cassette on Dirk - no problems at all and saved a world of heart ache trying to find a spaced Spinergy wheel.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Old thread, I know.
    Stumbled across it when googling something unconnected.

No, they are not directly compatible (apart from considerations around spline pattern).

11s cassettes starting on a 12 sprocket are the same width but Campagnolo sprocket spacings vary across the width, Shimano don't. Indexing in the middle of the cassette, especially, is not as good as it should be. Additionally, there is a small differential spacing 12->13 which preloads the cable making it impossible to dial in really accurately. Some people are happy with the slightly ropy shifting you can acheive, some aren't.

11s cassettes starting on an 11 sprocket, the Campagnolo cassette is approx 0.3mm wider and the extra width is across the smallest 2 sprockets, i.e. where the gear cable tension is being initially set so the shifting is generally not all that satisfactory. Inter-sprocket spacings further up the cassette also vary slightly.

Although on the Centaur 11 entry-level cassettes, the spacers are all 2.2mm (built-in spacers on the 1st 2 sprockets), the spacing changes are managed by machining the teeth "off centre" on the gauge of the sprocket.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    11 speed are compatible.

end of.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited December 2021
    gfk_velo said:

...11s cassettes starting on an 11 sprocket, the Campagnolo cassette is approx 0.3mm wider and the extra width is across the smallest 2 sprockets, i.e. where the gear cable tension is being initially set so the shifting is generally not all that satisfactory. Inter-sprocket spacings further up the cassette also vary slightly...

Incorrect. Campagnolo instructions are for the cable to be set on the 5th smallest sprocket.
    All my road bikes are Campagnolo 11 speed and my trainer has a Shimano 11 speed cassette. Zero issues.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.