Powermeter with Ultegra Di2?

CanyonBiker
CanyonBiker Posts: 14
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
I have the latest ultegra Di2 set up. I want to add a dual power meter.

Three questions:
- Would you recommend I go with pedal based power meter or are there other alternatives?
- I'm trying to decide between Edge 520 and Wahoo bolt. Does anyone know when the Edge 530 will come out?
- Do you think cycling dynamics will work with Wahoo's operating system in the future?

Thanks!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Re power meters- Google dcrainmaker and his summaries.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I recently returned my Edge 520. Previously had an Edge 810, had it for years but it just wasn't reliable. Not often but it would randomly power off mid ride, skip parts of the recording on rides and also end up with corrupt files I had to repair.
    I only use mine for recording speed / distance with occasional mapping. I have another device for use when mapping is required.
    After a good few years battery life was poor so I decided to get a new computer. The 520 did about 12 rides, one of them failed to correctly record. I decided to get rid. I'm now the happy owner of a Lezyne Super GPS. Cheap and so far just works. I wouldn't recommend for your needs though, just saying I'd opt for the Bolt.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Three questions:
    - Would you recommend I go with pedal based power meter or are there other alternatives?
    - I'm trying to decide between Edge 520 and Wahoo bolt. Does anyone know when the Edge 530 will come out?
    - Do you think cycling dynamics will work with Wahoo's operating system in the future?

Thanks!

I have the vector 3's and an elemnt bolt.
    The vectors are simply brilliant. Having previously used the powertap p1's and endured months of hell (constant issues) i was wary, but so far the vectors have surpassed all my expectations. The data is consistent and battery life is, so far, fantastic. Installation is a doddle. The only niggle is i have had to do the tension up to the max as to start with i felt my shoe was going to unclip - although it never actually did - even during hard sprints in the first ride.

They work fine with the bolt. You do miss out on the garmin cycling dynamics but personally i would rather miss out on that and have a glitch free gps device than have to endure another garmin edge product (i suspect it won't be long before wahoo issue the cycling dynamics anyway).

Whilst i think the Garmin Edge 520 is miles behind Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, i have to give credit to them for the vectors as (so far) they seem to have made a really great product.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    I bought a Quarq DFour a year ago for my 6800 Ultegra setup, absolutely bullet proof so far. 22,000km, 2 new batteries, zero drop outs or spikes. Dual sided power, and can just forget about it once installed.
  • Ernesider
    Ernesider Posts: 300

Three questions:

Thanks!
    Assioma Duos - PowerMeter24.... Ordered 23rd Dec Still no sign of them
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I run Shimano Di2 with a Power2max type S and a Wahoo Elemnt. Not had a problem. I prefer Speedplay over Shimano type clipless so Vector wasn't even a consideration.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.