Cycle rage

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited January 2018 in Commuting chat
Had a bit of an incident while cycling in this morning. I was approaching a line of cars queuing for a roundabout. At the back of the line in a secondary position was a guy on a mountain bike slowly approaching the queue and weaving from side to side a bit (looked like he was waiting for it to move forwards). I was going left at the roundabout, and there was a gap between the queue and the curb. I use this junction every day, and rarely, if ever is anybody in a car turning left at the roundabout. I passed him on the right, and then moved across in front of him, rode up the gap on the left, waited for a gap in the traffic, took the 1st exit and continued along the road.

When I went to pass him, it seemed like there was plenty of room, but as I was mid-manoeuvre, it did cross my mind that it was a bit tight, but I didn’t really think anything of it.

He then overtook me on my right, pedalling furiously, and moved in towards me before he’d completed the overtake, leaving me very little room for my front wheel between his rear wheel and the curb. I fairly jovially said “hey, easy tiger” and he yelled something obscene about me cutting him up, which was the first time I realised there might be a problem. I said I hadn’t intended to, but I was sorry if I had, and he turned off. We then ended up on parallel cycle path/road, so I yelled across that I was sorry if I’d cut him up, but there was no need to be silly about it. He just looked pissed off and yelled something inaudible but angry sounding back.

No harm done I suppose. Maybe if I’d been in his position my manoeuvre would have looked outrageously dangerous, but I’d prefer he’d just spoken to me about it rather than gone in for all the daft shenanigans.

Comments

• I had a MTBer rage at me on a cycle path, accusing me of passing him too closely.

The fcukwit. I laughed.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,610
    I had a MTBer rage at me on a cycle path, accusing me of passing him too closely.

The fcukwit. I laughed.

Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for his 10 foot wide handlebars.