Through axle / disc brake on a turbo.

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Another thought on the disk brake questions being asked here, but would assume that moving to a disk only bike would render a lot of turbo trainers useless if you were a one only bike person ?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can get adapters for through axles but check with the model you plan to get.

Don't know why disc would upset things ?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    My disc Defy doesn't mount on my Flux....not thru-axle either.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Gweeds wrote:

Figured as much.

The latest raft of through axle bikes render a lot of quality turbo's direct drive or otherwise moot. Another thing to think about if you have spent big £££ on a smart turbo.
  • The Direto comes with 142mm thru axle adaptors, which typically means another ~£50 with some other turbos, Cube* fits fine (as long as I remember to change to 11/12T sprocket to remove/install from/to turbo, otherwise the derailleur cage clearance past the turbo chassis is a no-go).

Did an instinctive press of brakes one time to stop a Zwift session, thankfully I realised my blunder part way through the brake lever range, so I could use a tyre lever to pry apart the rear brake pads! :oops:

* Pretty sure Cube don't cover frame damage from turbos, I might end up buying a bike (that better half can use?) for turbo use before next winter.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Gweeds wrote:

Figured as much.

The latest raft of through axle bikes render a lot of quality turbo's direct drive or otherwise moot. Another thing to think about if you have spent big £££ on a smart turbo.

Anyone with a thru axle disc bike and a decent turbo is also likely to have another bike that can be used on the turbo. I have my old tarmac on the turbo. The frame is a bit battered, Its got a ultegra groupset thats done 8000 miles, no brake calipers and £15 wheel from e-bay. I figured it was more cost effective to do this than ruin the dropouts and sweat all over the good bike(s).
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    PaulMon wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Figured as much.

Anyone with a thru axle disc bike and a decent turbo is also likely to have another bike that can be used on the turbo.
    Unless the disc bike is the second/winter bike... I wouldn't be keen on using best bike on it.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    PaulMon wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Figured as much.

Anyone with a thru axle disc bike and a decent turbo is also likely to have another bike that can be used on the turbo. I have my old tarmac on the turbo. The frame is a bit battered, Its got a ultegra groupset thats done 8000 miles, no brake calipers and £15 wheel from e-bay. I figured it was more cost effective to do this than ruin the dropouts and sweat all over the good bike(s).

I’m surprised that you think a group set that has done 8000 miles is battered enough for turbo use only! :wink:

PP
  • Another thought on the disk brake questions being asked here, but would assume that moving to a disk only bike would render a lot of turbo trainers useless if you were a one only bike person ?

Canyon Disc bikes do not fit on any trainer even with adapter. I had to keep my old bike for training, I had costed in the new purchase selling the old one for £500 :cry:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Plenty of people use decent bikes on the turbo with no worries. My TT bike lives there until in racing it - done it for years and no bother.