Wahoo Elemnt Bolt display problems

surfercyclist
surfercyclist Posts: 894
edited July 2018 in Road general
My 2nd Bolt has developed a display fault. Basically the display has become very dark/discoloured like when you press onto a LCD display with your finger. The unit still works fine but very hard to see unless back light on. So, I've just posted it back to Wiggle for an exchange. Anyone else getting this? As I say, this is the 2nd one that's done it and both times it occurred when I was on the turbo trainer so definitely no shocks/jolts etc so the only thing that springs to mind is I have the back light on continually on turbo as room fairly dark so wonder if connected? Turbo sessions are only just over an hour so could it be a heat issue with back light? I've sent a fault report in to Wiggle along with unit but would be interested if anyone else has had this. It's a shame as I think the Bolt is excellent but as this is the 2nd one with same fault I'm beginning to doubt them. Note the problem happened both times suddenly, one minute fine the next it was bad so not a gradual deterioration.

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    No problems with mine, turbo or otherwise, seems very bizarre you've had two do the same!
  • A quick google suggests others with the same issue. I wouldn't be leaving the backlight on though,
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    And there was I thinking that with all the positive reviews and opinions on here that these were the Dogs B******cks ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    And there was I thinking that with all the positive reviews and opinions on here that these were the Dogs B******cks ;)

They are, however this is something that Wahoo need to address as otherwise they are an excellent bit of kit.
  • Bad batch.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Svetty wrote:

They are, however this is something that Wahoo need to address as otherwise they are an excellent bit of kit.

If you'd put "Garmin" in the same sentence you'd be pilloried on here for that comment.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Svetty wrote:

If you'd put "Garmin" in the same sentence you'd be pilloried on here for that comment.

Because Garmin are genuinely shite. They lost their way after the 800, but particularly when they started piggybacking the 520 on existing firmware without thought for how it would screw up the operation of other models. Wahoo are at least quick to acknowledge faults and more importantly, fix them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lostboysaint
    :)

IYE.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

IYE.

Not just in one persons opinion - more and more cyclists are seeing the light and switching from garmin to wahoo.

It's not until you use the Bolt that you appreciate how far behind garmin are now with gps cycle computers.
  • Barrydeek
    Barrydeek Posts: 12
    I've had the same issue twice in 3 months now. Screen goes discoloured then finally dies with the led's' flashing a merry dance in yellow. I am waiting to hear from CRC, as second unit was just posted back on Friday. They were good with the first fail. Getting one more chance.
  • I'm on my 3rd Bolt, had several months and no problems HOWEVER I am now not using backlight when on turbo. I contacted Wahoo and they said having backlight on continually should not cause problem, however as it happened twice I'm not convinced so from now on will use on turbo sans backlight. Have to say Wiggle did not quibble when duff units sent back. Note when mine went "funny", it still worked perfectly apart from display.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I leave my backlight on all the time and haven't had a single problem with my Bolt in the 10 months I've had it. I don't use it on the turbo though.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    I had one where moisture got in between the display and what I guess is a clear plastic cover that is part of the housing. It was probably one of the earlier models and happened last summer during lots of alps climbing. Wiggle replaced promptly and no issues since. I don't think the buttons are the best design as they allow rain and sweat to pool. Other than that no problems.
  • 4 months in and no issues (bought myself as Xmas present), love it.

Getting a mount for Canyon Aero bars was a bit of a hunt (but thanks Custom Raceware in the end for 3D printed one)
  • WheelMeals wrote:

Getting a mount for Canyon Aero bars was a bit of a hunt (but thanks Custom Raceware in the end for 3D printed one)

Could you not just do the small modification to the Canyon garmin mount?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    redvision wrote:

IYE.

Not just in one persons opinion - more and more cyclists are seeing the light and switching from garmin to wahoo.

It's not until you use the Bolt that you appreciate how far behind garmin are now with gps cycle computers.

Completely agree.

It’s not that the bolt is better at one task. It ticks loads more boxes. Garmin have got lots of ground to make up. The way Garmin function seems outdated in comparison.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • NRDPXL
    NRDPXL Posts: 5
    having same or simmilar issue. Screen went black. when i turn on device all pixels become black and there was no way to reset or do anything. Still waiting for an update from evanscycles :/ Besides that - amazing device.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    ‘I bought one but it’s broken now. Apart from that it’s excellent.’
  • ‘I bought one but it’s broken now. Apart from that it’s excellent.’
    https://wp.me/p5bA4U-AK

Haha! That basically sums up my two weeks with a Wahoo Bolt too..... :oops:
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    Like anything there will be failures, it is a piece of electronics after all so a few failures out of how many 1000s sold isn't surprising. My current(3rd) one is so far perfect, only time will tell but I have to say despite having had two fails I think the Bolt is great. Wiggle didn't quibble/dispute etc just immediately sent a replacement so whilst it's annoying this really is a first world problem...
  • WheelMeals
    WheelMeals Posts: 86
    SloppySchleckonds

"Could you not just do the small modification to the Canyon garmin mount?"

I looked at various ways of doing online, all involved drilling it and other stuff I was likely mess up.
  • WheelMeals wrote:
    SloppySchleckonds

"Could you not just do the small modification to the Canyon garmin mount?"

I looked at various ways of doing online, all involved drilling it and other stuff I was likely mess up.

a606e2c474739ce86ed83d8809c99.jpg

Not sure which one you have, but undo the two screws, take the mount out and trim the corners
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • flopstocks
    flopstocks Posts: 110
    I have had two bolts fail on me too now. Exactly the same as this.

https://youtu.be/jkMejabPbbk
  • StillGoing
    flopstocks wrote:

And countless thousands have them work perfectly well.
  • flopstocks
    edited June 2018
    philthy3 wrote:
    flopstocks wrote:

Sorry but for me to have two to fail I am not happy, thinking about switching back to Garmin now.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    flopstocks wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    flopstocks wrote:

Sorry but for me to have two to fail I am not happy, thinking about switching about to Garmin now.

The bolt has very few failures reported but it's inevitable there will be some units that fail.

You have been unlucky to have two fail but Wahoo will replace under warranty.

If you think a garmin would be more reliable you are in for a nasty surprise.
  • StillGoing
    redvision wrote:

If you think a garmin would be more reliable you are in for a nasty surprise.

How very true, particularly when someone has presumably had good reason to leave Garmin in the first place.
  • flopstocks
    Switched to a Garmin Edge 130 today, my trust in Wahoo has gone.
  • madman2
    madman2 Posts: 1
    Wahoo,
    More Bolt issues here, some folk on their 3rd device! yet still they persist.
    As usual Wahoo have great design but SH*T poor execution.
    Manufacturing and reliability has been a long standing issues obviously.
    I've had problems with previous products like the reflkt+ which failed and has never been replaced.
    Now after eventually thinking I'd give them another chance I bought a bolt.
    Good device, reasonable screen and mapping.....
    4 months in it did the blank screen of death and led flashing thing that many have experienced.
    Despite the issue being a know problem and one of long standing Wahoo have refused to give me an advance replacement and now have given up on replying to emails or support ticket updates.

My advice stay clear

:|
  • lostboysaint
    philthy3 wrote:
    flopstocks wrote:

Oh the irony.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris