Can you swap Shimano and Campag brake cartridges

thetoecutter
thetoecutter Posts: 36
edited February 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,
My winter bike has Shimano cartridges on it's rim brakes and the summer bike Campag skeleton brakes. The winter bike's pads need changing, but are stuck I can get the screws out to change the pads. Can I put the Campag pads and cartridge on the calipers that have the Shimano pads and cartridge as a temporary measure? Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Hi all,
    My winter bike has Shimano cartridges on it's rim brakes and the summer bike Campag skeleton brakes. The winter bike's pads need changing, but are stuck I can get the screws out to change the pads. Can I put the Campag pads and cartridge on the calipers that have the Shimano pads and cartridge as a temporary measure? Has anyone tried this?

It would have been quicker and more conclusive to try fitting them than it was to write the question on this forum.
    Enjoy the rest of your day. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes do let us know....
  • Yes, I was going to try it, but didn't want to get to the bottom of a hill and find that there was more to it than I thought. I figured if someone had done it they might be able to say, yes, you can do it, it's a straight swap or no don't do it, it doesn't work.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Yes, I have done this on my fixed gear commuter bike (Campag brakes, Shimano shoes). The bolts are the same size so the other way round should work fine too. As long as you do both pads and shoes together you'll be fine.
  • Thanks Super_davo,
    That's what I wanted to know. I will give it a go.