Which activity tracker/smart watch type thing?

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited February 2018 in Road general
Hi,

I currently have a garmin vivo smart hr+. This is the second unit I have had return as faulty so time to move on to something else.

I have around £250 to spend. Can maybe stretch a little further.

I do a bit of mixed cycling - road and mtb - a bit of swimming and have recently started C25K as a means of working towards completing my first triathlon (sprint distance). I do around 50-60 miles a week on the bike and a few sportive length rides per year.

In terms of fitness features I am more interested in tracking routes, distance, navigation etc than I am in monitoring my heart rate zone. I have no race aspirations and compete only against myself. Strava integration a must. I wear my current unit as an everyday watch and feel I miss out on smart features due to limited functionality.

I am currently considering the garmin vivo smart 3 but have a slight doubts about longevity given recent experience, and the suunto spartan.

Any opinions on the two units above?

Anything else I should consider?

Cheers,
G.

Comments

• Do you want to navigate with it? Rather than just knowing where you went with it?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ZootHornRollo
    ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
    edited January 2018
    Double post :arrow:
  • Do you want to navigate with it? Rather than just knowing where you went with it?

I think that's something I would use. Not a deal breaker tho.
  • Having done a bit more research I am looking at the Spartan Trainer range as well the garmin forerunner 735xt. The suunto traverse is also niggling at me. I like the styling. Would I miss the hr monitor? I doubt it.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've had a Sony Smartwatch 3 for over a year and a half, bafflingly they don't seem to be making more or replacing it.

Anyway, it works great, and I haven't managed to destroy it yet.

The strava app works fine, there are other alternatives that will upload to strava also (ghostracer as I recall).

You can pop the watch out of the strap very quickly then potentially put it in a bike mount - there's a 3d printed bit of plastic you can order that makes it fit in a garmin mount.

You probably will need to have an android phone as it's pretty phone dependent for a lot of stuff.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Check out DCRainmaker.com for any tech reviews...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach