Cheap BSA Mtb Crankset?

CharlieV453
CharlieV453 Posts: 100
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi. I have a 2017 Ragley Marley 1.0 and had a problem with my cranks coming loose (mainly because of a short Allen key set). After purchasing a larger set it has stopped after having tightened it properly. Recently however I took the crankset apart for a clean and the spacer fell off so therefore I rode with the cranks moving left or right. At the end of my commute home I realise the problem and noticed the crank had come loose to meaning that I have been riding home with a loose crank. Once the spindle has been damaged severely it won't stay tight for long but as the commute is short the damage may not be fatal. If however the damage is worse than believed, does anyone know the cheapest reliable crankset that is under 100 pounds that is worth buying? The BB is a BSA 73mm and the current crankset is an FSA Comet Modular 175mm 1x Direct Mount Mega Exo 32T. I am not sure on the diameter and width of crankset I be so can anyone recommenda decent 1-by crankset that will fit this incase the damage is unsalvageable?

Thanks

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Best bet if you want cheap is to buy second hand I recently bought SRAM X9 cranks which are a 2x setup but I’ve converted them to a 1x with direct mount. The whole lot set me back about £50 after shopping about. BB is a SRAM GXP fitting a standard BSA. Buying second hand means you get a chance of a better quality setup at a fraction of the cost. I generally use a mixture of pinkbike and Ebay.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Ok thanks! Will have a look.
  • I currently have a FSA chainring which I believe has a different attachment to SRAM. Would it need an adaptor of some sort or should it fit anyway?
  • slc123
    Looking at the FSA chainring I would say it’s different to the SRAM ones. I managed to pick up a SRAM chainring for £18, so not the end of the world if you do find a good set of secondhand SRAM cranks. Your other option is try and find a secondhand set of FSA cranks that you know will fit.
  • So I can find parts, what dimensions do I kneed. Does anyone know?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which parts and for what?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The crank arms and spindle for my Ragley Marley 1.0.
  • slc123
    You’ve mentioned in your original post that it’s a 73mm BB and the crank arms are 175mm...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you need a threaded crankset for a 73mm BB and 175mm arms, Shimano Deore is the go to option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Do they not use the different octalink system? Will that fit?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited February 2018
    Just buy a new chainset and matching bottom bracket.
    Shimano Deore chainset with an HT2 BB will be ideal.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    A new Deore (or SLX or XT) chainset comes with the BB.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    A new Deore (or SLX or XT) chainset comes with the BB.

Not the new slx m7000 I’ve just bought last week, didn’t have a bottom bracket in the box, so maybe not all do.

It’s something I always have a few spare anyway.
  • cooldad
    Apologies then.

Haven't bought a new one for a while now, but they always used to.

I suppose now there are different options with threaded or press fit etc. BITD it was threaded or nothing. Much simpler.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ok. Will check out shimano's offerings then and see what i can find.
  • slc123 wrote:
    You’ve mentioned in your original post that it’s a 73mm BB and the crank arms are 175mm...
    Sorry about that. Im pretty clueless about what that meant so wasnt sure what was what. Thanks for the confirmation.
  • slc123
    slc123 wrote:
    Sorry about that. Im pretty clueless about what that meant so wasnt sure what was what. Thanks for the confirmation.

No worries it’s all a bit of a minefield but once you know what you need best option is hunting on pinkbike or Ebay. Lots of good deals for what you’ll need there. I personally prefer the SRAM stuff, but all of new shimano setups are getting great reviews. There was a guy on pinkbike selling the new shim XT really cheap which I nearly went for.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    Apologies then.

Haven't bought a new one for a while now, but they always used to.

I suppose now there are different options with threaded or press fit etc. BITD it was threaded or nothing. Much simpler.

Some still do, I've been looking at cheap options for my commuter work bike and spotted a deore 10speed which did include the bottom bracket.

I still go for threaded bb as I've had a bb30 before and it drove me mad with creaking and clicking etc.