Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

12v power supply for testing car bits.

pinnopinno Posts: 45,326
edited January 2018 in The cake stop
There is one for sale on flea bay that I am looking at. Max output is 1 amp.

Is that sufficient?

Cheers.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Posts

  • lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,283
    It depends what you want to test. A 5 watt bulb - Yes. A starter motor- No.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,326
    lesfirth wrote:
    It depends what you want to test. A 5 watt bulb - Yes. A starter motor- No.

    Electric seat motors, instrument clusters... that sort of thing. If I want to test a starter motor, I would use some jumo leads and a car battery (and a vice).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • figbatfigbat Posts: 680
    Why not do that for the other items you want to test?

    A few years ago I wanted a radio in the garage and had a spare car head unit and speakers lying around. I hunted around and found a AC-DC transformer that put out 12v (think it was from a portable printer). Worked perfectly.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,455
    Used to be involved with electric car sunroof, door window and car seat test and manufacturing a few years ago and we used a minimum 20amp 12v psu for assembly stations. Had a look on eBay and spotted this.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-25A-Benc ... Sw8axaEvBa
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,326
    Cheers Oxo. I looked at that but if you read the description, it's a bit crude and it's unregulated.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,283
    A 1 amp supply will be of limited use where motors are concerned.As Figbat says,why not use a battery? I know it might not be as convenient if it is not used often, but it is the best option.
    I can see you have tested a starter motor.If you do not use a vice the first time you certainly do the second. :)
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,706
    As you were prepared to buy something to do the job, then I'd suggest one of these...

    Clore-Jump-N-Carry-JNC660_azcyne.jpg

    It has more uses than the bench supply you were looking at.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 49,349
    Pinno wrote:
    There is one for sale on flea bay that I am looking at. Max output is 1 amp.

    Is that sufficient?

    Cheers.
    If you want to save money, could you test them using the12v socket in your car? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,326
    Sure sloggy but you are hardly going to test relays, 5w LED's, instrument cluster parts, back light, switches and generally things that would normally go through a resisted circuit or a relay with that are you? \not sure how you would put those gigantic crocodile clips onto say, one of these:

    s-l300.jpg

    The big stuff, like starter motors, fuel pumps - ideal but I can do that anyway.

    I would like an adjustable 0 to 30 amp, 0 - 12v supply.

    @Stevo - who said anything about saving money?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 49,349
    OK, why not just use the car socket then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,326
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    OK, why not just use the car socket then?

    I have the feeling that you are bored.

    Not practical. Much better/easier to have it on a bench. Anyway, if you are going to test something that requires a regulated 12v, 3amp supply say, you aren't going to get that out of the cigarette lighter are you?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 49,349
    I am, but also curious and checking you hadn't missed the obvious. Ever helpful :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,455
    Pinno. If your only doing the odd lamp or switch then old battery with a battery charger would do, otherwise look for something from bremi, isotech or thurlby thandor basically they're lab power supplies normally 0 to 30 v various current capacities from 3amp to 30 amp. Typically I threw an old bremi one away not long ago as I'd never use it again and it was a bit tatty for ebay or so I thought. Remember wiper, seat, sunroof and door drive motors all use above 4 amps or so especially if still attached to whatever there supposed to drive. Seem to remember 7amp being max av current allowed by most OEM car makers approx 12 yrs ago. Hope this info helps.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,706
    Pinno wrote:
    Sure sloggy but you are hardly going to test relays, 5w LED's, instrument cluster parts, back light, switches and generally things that would normally go through a resisted circuit or a relay with that are you? \not sure how you would put those gigantic crocodile clips onto say, one of these:

    They have a 12v 'lighter' socket on them too, so you bring smaller wires out to delicate components :D

    A portable battery can be more useful as you don't need a mains supply where you are working.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • pinnopinno Posts: 45,326
    oxoman wrote:
    Pinno. If your only doing the odd lamp or switch then old battery with a battery charger would do, otherwise look for something from bremi, isotech or thurlby thandor basically they're lab power supplies normally 0 to 30 v various current capacities from 3amp to 30 amp. Typically I threw an old bremi one away not long ago as I'd never use it again and it was a bit tatty for ebay or so I thought. Remember wiper, seat, sunroof and door drive motors all use above 4 amps or so especially if still attached to whatever there supposed to drive. Seem to remember 7amp being max av current allowed by most OEM car makers approx 12 yrs ago. Hope this info helps.

    Spot on and thanks. I'll look for something that pushes out up to 10amps.

    I have mains Stevo :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 9,543
    lesfirth wrote:
    I can see you have tested a starter motor.If you do not use a vice the first time you certainly do the second. :)

    :lol:
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Sign In or Register to comment.