10 speed vs 11 speed

djhnz
djhnz Posts: 50
edited January 2018 in Road general
I am running 10 speed 105 on my current bike, primarily due to having 10 speed wheels.

Considering upgrading to a different groupset to try and get under 7.5kg. The bike is from 2015, aside from the number of gears, is there any real difference in weight and shifting compared to the newer 11 speed groupsets?

I'm looking at a 10 speed dura ace group to replace it.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Probably save more cash and weight by buying lighter wheels and keeping the groupset.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Are you sure the freehub won’t take an 11 speed cassette? A lot are 9/10/11 speed compatible, you just remove the spacers before putting the cassette on. And in answer to your question about sticking with 10 speed, but getting a higher end groupset, yes, the DA 10 speed is very different in feel / shifting performance to a 105 ( I’m guessing 5700 )
  • djhnz
    djhnz Posts: 50
    Me-109 wrote:
    Probably save more cash and weight by buying lighter wheels and keeping the groupset.
    My wheels aren't crazy heavy as it is (approx 1500g), so figured groupset iss a good next upgrade
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    if the bike is already 7.5kg why not go for less body mass?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I just switched from 105 (albeit 11-speed) to a mix of Dura Ace and R8000 Ultegra. I weighed everything when I was replacing each part to see where the savings were coming from, if any:

https://tempocyclist.wordpress.com/2018/01/20/bike-diet-part-2-the-groupset/

You can decide if you think it's worth it for you. :-) Also compared wheelset weights in the previous post.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    It goes to 11.
    That's one better.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    PBlakeney wrote:
    It goes to 11.
    That's one better.

For when you need that extra push over the cliff
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I just switched from 105 (albeit 11-speed) to a mix of Dura Ace and R8000 Ultegra. I weighed everything when I was replacing each part to see where the savings were coming from, if any:

https://tempocyclist.wordpress.com/2018/01/20/bike-diet-part-2-the-groupset/

You can decide if you think it's worth it for you. :-) Also compared wheelset weights in the previous post.

You've got almost a complete new bike. Frame and forks next?