Enigma Escape

alh14
alh14 Posts: 62
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Anybody ridden or got one of these ?

Fancy one of these to replace the GT grade as bigger tyre clearance and 650b compatibility if I want to go into the woods.

Before anybody mentions the Tripster ATR, the geometry on the escape suits me better in that the reach is not as long, and the Reilly Gradient is to low a stack for me.

Comments

• I've had one since just before Christmas, bought as a frame set with Hope headset and BB to match the 20Five wheels I already had, whilst group set is SRAM Force 1x. I've only managed to put around 300 miles on it so far due to festive restrictions, weather, illness and the seemingly constant need to either work late or transport never ending amounts of crap between home and the office, but I'm loving it - it's an awesome bike.

It will be my winter / commuting bike when I get the motivation to drag my lazy ass out of bed first thing and ride the 13 miles into work. It replaces a Planet X SLX which, along with my collar bone got taken out on the way into work back in September. I've always wanted a ti bike and so saw the accident as an opportunity and decided to just go for it, which I'm so glad I did. I considered the Kinesis (both the AT and ATR framesets) but the short warranty was off putting and the Enigma seemed the better frame all round even though it doesn't seem to be reviewed much. It rides beautifully both on and off road (I live on Dartmoor so loads of options for both and to be fair the state of some of the roads round here are worse than some off road stuff), climbs well and descends with confidence, I can easily see me using it year round, even though my summer bike is a Bianchi Infinito CV with Campag Chorus / Super Record.

Any questions, just ask.
  • alh14
    Awesome to hear that you like it, what size tyres do you have ? And how does it feel compared to the bianchi, my summer bike is a synapse hi mod but not expecting comparable levels of stiffness.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    2018 Specialized Diverge Comp is worth a look if in budget. I need bikes with high stack and short reach and it was perfect when I rode it. Summer bike is a Bianchi Infinito CV. I've opted for a custom S-Works build which should hopefully be ready in a couple of weeks. The big plus point for me was the gearing it comes with a 48/32 sub compact which gives enough range to allow you use it as a winter bike. Stick some 650b wheels on it with at 34T cassette and you are all set for off road stuff as well.
  • alh14
    Had a look at the diverge but have a full ultegra hyd groupset, so the escape would be cheaper.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I've looked at the Escape as well as J.ack. as well as pc offering. I've test Ridenour the old escape and the j.ack.
    I'm currently leaning more towards the Mason Honey top end alloy frame that can be brought as frame only
    Thanks Andy
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2018
    "Dick Sternum" has just posted a pic of his Escape in the "Scenic Bike Pics" sub-forum

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=680

Last post on the link above.

Maybe you could send him a PM for his comments

Oops - sorry just spotted that the elusive Dick Sternum has already responded. Apologies for my geriatric ramblings
  • adlopa
    adlopa Posts: 37
    I built an Escape frame up just before Xmas, primarily for audaxing. First long ride (200k) last Saturday through the Chilterns in grim weather was a joy (relatively speaking...). Taking it out for its first club ride tomorrow to see how it fares with speedier stuff.

Coincidentally, I also went for 48/32 at the front (Praxis Works Zayante) and 11-32 at the back – I've never wanted higher gears on long rides, but always wished for lower ones when slogging up long climbs with tired legs. It worked brilliantly. DCR wheels with Aforce Al33 rims (bit spendy) with 32mm tyres are a revelation, too.
  • alh14,

Don't have an Escape, however I do have another ti frame with almost the exact geo as the 53.

If you've never been on a ti bike, I think you'd love the ride feel over the carbon Grade.

Put on a lightweight 650x48 (Compass) or 42 (Panaracer) tubeless setup and that takes it to another level.
  • AndyH01 wrote:
    I've looked at the Escape as well as J.ack. as well as pc offering. I've test Ridenour the old escape and the j.ack.
    I'm currently leaning more towards the Mason Honey top end alloy frame that can be brought as frame only
    Thanks Andy

I have the Escape, J.Ack and Mason Bokeh (I presume that is what you meant before auto-correct got hold of it!) on my "long list", and would be interested in your test experiences.

Thanks!