Planet X RT-58 / Carbon Pro

Tappy88
Tappy88 Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm interested in both the Planet X RT-58 with SRAM Rival or the Carbon Pro either the sram rival / the shimano ultergra or the shimano Sora.

help and advise much appreciated!

Comments

• LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I built up a Pro Carbon with Ultegra 11 speed, absolutely love that wee bike. Quite light for the money and very responsive, i'd highly recommend it. If i was buying it direct from Planet X the only thing i would change would be the wheels.
  • ayank
    ayank Posts: 41
    LiamW wrote:
    I built up a Pro Carbon with Ultegra 11 speed, absolutely love that wee bike. Quite light for the money and very responsive, i'd highly recommend it. If i was buying it direct from Planet X the only thing i would change would be the wheels.

So how difficult was it to build up? I'm thinking of one of these when I get back state-side. It seems it would be easy (external cabling), finished bottom bracket, headset.

But did you have any troubles?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    RT-80 is a much more modern design and isn't that much more money.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    AYank wrote:
    LiamW wrote:

So how difficult was it to build up? I'm thinking of one of these when I get back state-side. It seems it would be easy (external cabling), finished bottom bracket, headset.

It was grand for me, but i'm an ex mechanic with ten years experience in a local bike shop, But even without all that it would be handy enough for the basics: ie fitting brakes, mechs, bottom brackets. Hardest bit would be fitting the headset, cutting the steerer tube, but even those two jobs are manageable if you take your time. Youtube has loads of videos to help you through any issues you would come across.
  • ayank
    Svetty wrote:

I liked that frame alot until I came to the bit where it said it only allowed 25mm tires. What a shame for an endurance style bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    AYank wrote:
    LiamW wrote:

i've built 3 of them: like building 99% of bicycles its ridiculously simple. no need to be an ex rocket ship mechanic.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ayank
    AYank wrote:
    LiamW wrote:
    I
    i've built 3 of them: like building 99% of bicycles its ridiculously simple. no need to be an ex rocket ship mechanic.

Well I've built quite a few bikes myself and your right they are so much more easier than you think.

But I find some much more easier than others. It all depends on the finishing quality. The RT-58 causes me some potential concern because many of the parts are not included (i.e. barrels, headset, etc.)
  • What do we think the chances of Planet X throwing in some FREE pedals. i like the idea of the RT 80 but as im doing it under the cyclescheme im trying to count in the fact i need pedals etc
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    AYank wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

I liked that frame alot until I came to the bit where it said it only allowed 25mm tires. What a shame for an endurance style bike.

I built up a Pro Carbon frame at the start of last year. 105 5800 with Deda stem and bars, Thomson seat post and some nice handbuilts from Malcolm at Cycleclinic (H Plus Son Archetype rims with Miche Primato hubs.

I started off running 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance but after a bit decided to try some fatter rubber. Am currently running 28mm Pro4 Endurance and these are noted to come up a bit bigger than the quoted size - maybe nearer to 30mm. The clearances are fine at the front

f3FD0w4Kj2vStGtzbfcTMLIgQxvYQCYiw7B7Yx2knbmRhSVccarVzXJp_LR96_wAb0-cTtWlyzrcmM3ziOLU_857wVVfllvbxnHM5zOvLCmnmWLfkTjooTVBlWMrivvqp0bRQppUGjNRwMl0NXMv45BVEe-w8srxwya7GCL7CWviPMMFHlHgS65V4QA7qeFrgPNyvuDT5mZwv8YvUX3HGcZf06yeMpOmKHIo9vA0YBF0jlDTf_BNZJJZS_f1NFlD9NP7RmT7EMf8_YxvEm9AaJz-rz_W0_LROw383ezTKt_HuV3sk6sWP4a0mJGifw3pvjNDUlq1GuGnXjtj8p6tHH2T9TyX0T7cW2fnP6nLZ8hDjWjmSDwkPTBRrjUvCpP8G47_ZzqRACnvVIc-VDeBtDwR3O8fWoPtggUYKF_fjW3RoCpzY-Iw-mHRzk8nWSN5YZcHz_wvx2yHxDwRLludCl1pQikq8TngmpdtQaVC4vBcRUAf4tNGFcOg6d1twMWrvQsd59usPGWRJsZ_N9CLL1yUoxnzJ0GKxK2Wp00pC6QUOlW7Z3fYCXnGtKBgkDngM9Y22SB1C6WZ1eNkj7zI84vnTy78t2wYnhh3Xfg=w667-h888-no

but a little tight at the rear.

sLWzvP_UyIqJOemY1ZgLNhjrS-NeeGm12SYipV8BBG9t1KwwKmEkDk2eRSS0YipItttG2UGmBfmgycf-YlQgG52Qy_pClV1Jr2FW4oBzhA7D4D0P7GRQaSG9cf1DhUo0Pu6CPBC07sjZL-Gr6LPtrNRtfng6fnv2lI8mNqYARQ6nV8gkpqluWCIDhl4qSLpbCGRUsr6Mg3Qr-jtZ8DyeW5Ee36nOCiku_dtFKK44zb6GLVU_rrL0YPHlO182Ip8ZQMub2Alnj3ttudQ7qZIjM0Y5tNGLBNN7zwmu04V4H4t4KvafScCnrJrSekW1BUlJB9X4LW9nrlmik8g0rhxTwjJy9oXooquoeiPNTsjRHcmAXS3sGoMQqxUL5Yq-cdPiae8A9QLIxA8nyxKY1CQ3tpnlEbEu17bmhixgfol3b2khcKKHldkG8zfX1ez3Knto6fUoQwnJbZZUy-VqfD1ny0f9l1iODxLX_WEeJqPzD-8LBg7J7gcTneKwdbptz55j2ngb6l_ePltl32hIbc9Zen2WHupZnE_hh_M2Y-fNcumr3tJgpoEwtS_fEOF6GqjqsmUPAzq6IUi3m-gcouvR_EMhxUpKk5-SsI0kVP4=w1184-h888-no

However I've never had any issue with tyre rub so the Pro Carbon could be an option if you want to run some bigger tyres.

No room for mudguards tho if that's a deal breaker
  • Matthewfalle
    Tappy88 wrote:
    What do we think the chances of Planet X throwing in some FREE pedals. i like the idea of the RT 80 but as im doing it under the cyclescheme im trying to count in the fact i need pedals etc

None really. Why should they? They sell buckets of these things. And wh6 the capitalization?

If you want cheap really good pedals, buy some of their Exustar ones: bit heavier than Keo but better built, much more solid platform, much tighter spring and something like £12 a pop.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    AYank wrote:
    AYank wrote:
    LiamW wrote:
    I

Well I've built quite a few bikes myself and your right they are so much more easier than you think.

But I find some much more easier than others. It all depends on the finishing quality. The RT-58 causes me some potential concern because many of the parts are not included (i.e. barrels, headset, etc.)

Just order it all from p/x in one hit.

You’ll most probably need to order head set, barrels for downtube cables, seat post clamp, suitable bb for your crank. Add £25 to your frame cost.

It’s dead simple and really good fun. People like to big themselves up and pretend it’s difficult but it’s a bicycle. Children can build them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    AYank wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

As per the thread above, a Pro Carbon is marginal for anything bigger than 25mm. The rim width of the wheels is also a determinant of the real world clearance. Having owned both frames I know what I'd rather buy.... :D
  • ayank
    Svetty wrote:
    AYank wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

As per the thread above, a Pro Carbon is marginal for anything bigger than 25mm. The rim width of the wheels is also a determinant of the real world clearance. Having owned both frames I know what I'd rather buy.... :D

Hang on. I'm not getting something. @ arlowood said he could fit 28mm tires on the Carbon Pro. Are you saying you can do the same on the RT-80?
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I recently built up an RT 58 alloy, its a ridiculously cheap bike on Planet X and the framesets are going for £99 at present. If you want tyre clearance the alloy RT 58 takes 28mm easily. I accept alloy bikes are not a popular choice as most want carbon. Im a cheap skate but a good bike doesnt have to be made of carbon! Depends what your after, a carbon bike or one thats got tyre clearance regardless of frame material?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • svetty
    AYank wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    AYank wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Hang on. I'm not getting something. @ arlowood said he could fit 28mm tires on the Carbon Pro. Are you saying you can do the same on the RT-80?
    I've not tried but based on the photos posted above where 28s are marginal on a Pro-Carbon which is an older design I don't think there's much difference in clearance between the 2 frames. The RT-80 is just a branded version of the open mould FM-066 - there should be info out there on tyre clearances if you Google but precise clearance will vary according to brand of tyre, inflation pressure and rim width.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I have an RT80, 25's just fit (Mich pro4 and Vittoria Corsa) on a 17mm rim no chance you can get a 28c in there the back clearance isn't enough.