Crankset

Dirty_Conky
Dirty_Conky Posts: 11
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

I need to replace my crankset since my bolt is keep coming loose and i can't find solution for this.

Currently I have FSA Comet X1 and I found replacement on ebay with bb:
https://goo.gl/JaJLN1
But I have also found this crankset from raceface and I've heard it's actually pretty good but I'm not really sure it will fit on my bike:
https://goo.gl/hcvQ9g

What do Ya all think? Should I stay with FSA since it's for sure compatibile or go for raceface? or do You know any better than this which could fit my boardman pro fs 27,5?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both are compatible, there is no need to stay with FSA when nothing else it interacts with is FSA anyway, plus the RF has a standardised ring pattern making chainwheel swaps easy versus the whacky FSA. Or find the route cause of the issue with the FSA you have and fix it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You are possibly not tightening the bolt enough, or you could put some Loctite 577 on the thread.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Or find the route cause of the issue with the FSA you have and fix it!

Believe me pal I've tried but it's over 2 weeks now without my bike and I'm in pain. I've already changed spring washer and put new bolt but it still keep coming loose while i'm driving (and yeah, new bolt came with glue on it so it doesn't help either). The only reasonable reason for me is slighty damaged left crank arm inside.

pnSssuw3j

This cause a slighty movement on crank and particularly make bolt to unscrew. I have no idea what is cause of this damage either..

Anyway boys, my mate told me to go for this crankset since it's in deal and is 200g lighter, What Your opinion on it?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m7000-single-11sp-crankset/rp-prod148289
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Dont chain ring bolts usually come with medium strength loctite applied?

I'd go for the race face crank set as it will be the standard 104bcd size so you can then swap to any size chain rings you like.

I've recently fitted a shimano slx m7000 to my bike, the finish is very nice but you'll need to pay extra for the bottom bracket. 25 quid for the xtr BSA threaded one on crc.

your bike does have a 68 or 73mm bottom bracket shell?
  • swod1

Anyway boys, my mate told me to go for this crankset since it's in deal and is 200g lighter, What Your opinion on it?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m7000-single-11sp-crankset/rp-prod148289

just recently bought one of these 74.99 including 32tooth chain ring, merlin cycles. its 175mm size though.
  • your bike does have a 68 or 73mm bottom bracket shell?

Just measure it and it's 73mm pal. I know it's suck when You have to change You crankset in that way but I just can't be arsed about waiting anymore :(

i still have a few hours for next day delivery to do a research but at the moment raceface ride with bb seems to be a good value. The only cons it's 200g heavier than slx, is that will make any difference? My mate says it's huge difference, is it? I like how FR looks
  • swod1
    i doubt you'd notice it unless you want a lightweight bike.

if you buy the shimano slx m7000 crank from crc, it doesn't include a chain ring or bottom bracket so you will need to purchase both of these at the same time.

The race face set looks good value, and you have a choice of 170 or 175mm arm length and 30,32 or 34t chain ring size.
  • Thanks a lot mate, I went for race face and received today.
    1utwuB.jpg
  • swod1
    Looks rather good. I've fitted the slx to my bike and its loads better than the one i had on before.

What size did you buy 170 or 175mm and what chain ring size?