Wheelset around USD 500

p929
p929 Posts: 28
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Lately I've been considering the idea of buying a new wheelset. Currently, I own a pair of Aksium ~2013. They're a good for training and in good condition (I guess..), but I thought if it'd be time to upgrade. I don't race and basically train solo, as I'm not a club member and here there aren't many sportives per year.

I live on a geographical plateu in Los Andes, so I have plenty of flats and high montains. Nevertheless, I prefer riding on the flat rather than climbing, but the latter comes always into play for a colombian cyclist. BTW I'm 1.60m and 60kg.

Unfortunately, local market is terrible, expensive and very few options...mostly entry level stuff. The 'top level' wheels in LBS here are Ksyrium. As a consequence, I have to buy everything abroad and it's 30% import tax. Even with taxes most of the time it is way cheaper importing than buying locally, and therefore, my budget is limited and reduced.

Anyway, I began with a USD 200 budget because it's the price limit before goods start being taxed, but with that money I can't find anything that might be considered an upgrade. Therefore, I settled on a budget around USD 500. So far I have seen:

1) Easton EA90 SLX for USD 465, which AFAIK is a good price for them, isn't it?

2) Campagnolo Zondas, USD 445.

3) People seem to like HED Ardennes, and I found a deal on Jensonusa at USD 350, but this is the 'Plus GP' version, so I don't know how different they are.

4) Shimano RS81 35mm for USD 570. I've read they behave similar to C24

5) Locally, I find Ksyrium Elite at USD 720, which I find excessive.

6) Deep section carbon Vuelta Corsa 55SE for USD 500

I also though on custom built and found:

7) ColoradoCyclist: Rims DT swiss RR411 with hubs Dt Swiss 350 straight pull for USD 488

8) BWW blackset 24 for USD 360 (with only 1388 gr!), but no idea what hubs they use, most probably rebranded joytech or novatec...but are they reliable?

I think that I have to go for alloy only. Obviously, from the bling aspect and my preference for the flat rides some deep section carbon wheels would be nice, but in that price range I could only find the #6) or some open mold chinese sets, but they're most probably not worthy the risk, am I right?

Well, that's it. I'd like to finish asking if worths to move from my current Aksium to any of the listed ones? or... do you have another suggestion in that budget? or... should I hold my shopaholic feeling till the aksium are broken? (but I can sell them here for around USD 120) THX

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited January 2018
    There are lots of interesting, light weight and reasonably priced hand built options at https://www.slowbuild.eu/ (Use Chrome translator). If you pick a fast track option and add Flex7 code you'll get 5% discount if you don't mind waiting a few days longer. Cero AR24 and AR30 Evo and Hunt Race Aero and Hunt Race Aero Wide are other popular favourites here. I'm a fan of cheap Novatec/Joytech hubs because they're pretty easy to service and good value. The main issue is their durability in the wet.
  • p929
    Thx bobones for the page, I'm glad I speak German so no translator needed :) I'd take a look at them, but it seems that they don't ship to US
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    So many threads on this topic...ideally get local hand built by someone who really knows what they're doing and can advise on the best wheels for you, or pick the Zondas.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • p929
    Well, yesterday I went to most of the LBS in my city that might stock top wheels. As I mentioned before, I asked 'Top level' and they offered me RS11 !!, some Kyrisum (at bloody prices), to be fair there are only 2 really good stores here with high quality stuff. In one of them there were some good wheels but prices.. OMG, I was quoted USD 3000 for a C24 wheelset!!

However, In the 2nd good store they offered me a pair of Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite for USD 1100, I know it's the normal price elsewhere, but considering what I have told you about availability and prices heres it seems a 'fair' price. Moreover, I'd have the warranty here. It's quite a high price but making some restrictions I could eventually afford them.

Definitely, at the moment I'll go with factory wheels so I'm debating about these 3 options:

1) Campagnolo Zonda (USD 507 taxes included)
    2) Easton EA90 SLX (USD 645 taxes included)
    3) Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite (USD 1100 in LBS)

As I said before, they would be for training and everyday ride and most probably my wheels for a good number of years to come, which might include some future races or sportives. Which one would you pick?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Zonda!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • p929
    drlodge, Thx for your advice. I just ordered my new zonda, and they will be approx. USD 503, i.e. the price I put in the topic label.... and if I'm somehow lucky they won't charge me any taxes (but that's mostly improbable)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy them...now it's time to sell the Aksium to get back a small part of the invest on the zondas.