Dunwich Dynamo

rock_bus
rock_bus Posts: 35
edited January 2018 in Road general
Anyone on here done Dunwich Dynamo?

Looks a bit different and could be fun, but not sure as I’d probably be doing it solo.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Done it a couple of times, a few years ago now.

It's a load of fun, v sociable ride and not an issue doing it solo as there are so many others doing you're never short of companions to ride with.

There are food stops but you're probably better off taking your own and stopping for a bit when you feel like, not when you arrive at the appointed spot.

There used to be a place within about 20 miles of the finish that sold tea coffee & bacon butties, proceeds to charity but last I heard that had stopped. Shame.

It's a really enjoyable ride, much easier than it sounds and is mostly flat or even slightly d/hill. If you fancy having a pop at it, you should do it rather than miss out and have that itch to scratch. The main requirement is decent lights front & rear, and make sure they'll last the duration. Also getting back is a bind. There are limited spaces on trains back to London or places like Ipswich & Norwich, and coach + lorry service that delivers riders & bikes back to Hackney, but they involve a bit of waiting around. If you can arrange someone to collect you personally that's the best option, but it is the biggest downside of doing it.

You'll find plenty of reviews & write ups on the net, The Guardian usually has a few personal stories in the days after, which will give you a good insight into it all.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I did it a couple of years ago, was great fun. I did it with some people I didn't know well but, met some of and arranged to meet through a forum. Was good to be able to sort lifts out like that as the travel at the end of it is the biggest challenge.

There's a fairly active facebook group it would be worth joining to get a feel for what goes on, there are also some travel options discussed on there including nearer the time people trading coach/train tickets they can't use for whatever reason. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DunwichDynamo/
  • DeEmBe
    DeEmBe Posts: 31
    I've done it twice now and really enjoyed it both times. Like the others have said, it's a very sociable and inclusive ride and I found the Facebook group lots of help with logistics, feed stops, etiquette (cycling through villages at night etc.).

It's the one ride I'd recommend above all others that I've done. Lots of fun and strangely surreal when cycling through the countryside in the darkness at 2.00 am, and the sense of achievement when arriving at Dunwich beach the following morning is quite unique.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I would really like to do it, the distance/time/community part sound a lot of fun, but I have always been put off by the return journey and all the hanging around. That said, everyone I know who has ridden it had a great time.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I did it last year and have booked my coach and lorry for the bike back to London this year too.

If you're going to need transport back I'd book pretty soon. I wouldn't rely on train services due to qty or riders.

Splitting hairs slightly but the coach returns to Canada Water, not Hackney.