What would you have done ?

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited February 2018 in Road general
Riding home last night , passed a chap who was running with his bike one foot on the pedal and moving forward with a one footed skipping motion .
Strange you may think.
I stopped and asked if assistance was required , upshot , snapped chain and no chain breaker.
I had one so offered it , two attempts to fix and he snapped the chain tool.!!
An offer of payment via exchanging phone numbers etc was offered and turned down by myself.
So a visit to Halfords today and £15 later I bought a new one.
Would you have arranged for reimbursement or did what I did ?
regards
ILG

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I'd have done just what you did. Accidents happen but at least he offered.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I would have done what you did AND bought the guy a beer for highlighting on his own bike that you have a sh1te chain tool and broke it there an then instead of you breaking it on your own bike some 20miles away from your home.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    I would have done what you did AND bought the guy a beer for highlighting on his own bike that you have a sh1te chain tool and broke it there an then instead of you breaking it on your own bike some 20miles away from your home.

+ 1

my multi tool has a chain tool incorporated. The multi tool cost £3 new. It's more of psychological protection than any hope it will actually work when I need it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends which chaintool he broke - if it was my "good" one - then it's ££ of tool - I've used it several times with no breakages ... if it was my not so good one - then I may not be so worried.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Interesting this as I have used it many times without issue it may have been incorrect user operation , but we will never know.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Did you a favour - your chaintool was obviously rubbish and stopped you from suffering a similar predicament. I also carry a few spare links of chain and quick-links which I'll happily give away.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I'd tell him to maintain his bike better and expect payment
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    GrenW wrote:

That
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I'd have wielded the chain tool myself. Watching people trying to fix something irritates the hell out of me, much rather get on with it and do it myself.
    But generally speaking you did the right thing and at least he offered as said above.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'd have wielded the chain tool myself. Watching people trying to fix something irritates the hell out of me, much rather get on with it and do it myself.
    Whilst I don't mind helping a fellow rider - I try and steer away from chain/gear issues as, quite frankly, I hate having mucky hands afterwards (yes I keep forgetting to put some gloves in the saddlebag).
  • GrenW wrote:

That

+1
  • You offered tools to fix his bike which he accepted. You failed to deliver and should compensate for breach of contract. I'm sure he is on another post getting advise from bender.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'd tell him to maintain his bike better and expect payment

happy ending?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    itboffin wrote:
    I'd tell him to maintain his bike better and expect payment

happy ending?

Depends if he offered enough for a “happy ending”! :wink:

PP
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Only I use my tools, just a thing I've got, must be something to do with being a technician. I also carry a couple of quick links for emergencies and have had to use one once. Poor lad's chain was actually too long so I chopped it and donated a quick link to get him on his way.