Garmin edge touring route calculation error

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited January 2018 in Road general
I have a garmin edge touring which works fine in every other way - except on occasions where I have downloaded a rout created by someone else I am then plagued by 'route calculation error' and I get no further instructions.

It happened the other day on a club run, everyone else using a garmin was ok - but mine just wouldn't hold the route.

I have tried copying the gpx file to the folder on the garmin and well as 'send to device' on garmin connect - still get the same problems

Any ideas, ? - Garmin have suggested a factory reset - which I will do but I am really not hopeful that will work - software is all up to date.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Weird that other Garmins were fine presumably with exactly the same file? Maybe it's that they use different maps? Or do the different gadgets get different routing algorithms?

I haven't done very much of this kind of thing with my Touring Plus so I can't offer any suggestions. Couple of years ago I'd created a couple of routes on RWGPS to use in Portugal. First one of those went tits up with the route calc error somewhere near Monchique. No mobile phone signal so Google Maps was useless too. Navigated back to the hotel using instinct, the sun, and blind luck. Mainly luck. Last one I did was for a charity 60 miler in the UK. They only provided a paper map so again I created the GPX file in RWGPS. That one worked faultlessly.

The only thing I learned early on was to turn off the Recalculate function. When doing a circular route if it lost satellite communication it would instantly recalculate the quickest way to the end of the ride, which was usually back the way I'd just come. Not very helpful. Why can't it just get you back on to the route?