Next bike conundrum, quality advice needed!

robmanic1
robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
edited January 2018 in MTB buying advice
Started shopping around for my next ride, over the years I've owned and loved them all (nearly), bogo hardtails, racey hardtails, steel thrasher, full bouncers, even had a brief affair with a chubby (Surly Krampus). Looking for a long term relationship with something special!

Really an open spec, I have an affinity with steel framed lovely's and have had a long time hankering after a Cotic Solaris after demoing one a few years back. Just been checking out Bird's Zero but sadly they don't have the colour I like in the right frame size (yes I know it's not steel but bear with me!).

The Solaris isn't available for a few weeks so I'm spending way too much time researching other offerings.

"Just wait for the Solaris you impatient tw@t!", yeh I know but no harm harvesting opinions on alternatives, right?

There's a massive pool of experience on here so I'm hoping you good people can help me decide.

Budget is fairly elastic, to a point, for the right bike. I don't want a full on xc bike or a downhill rig, but something that'll munch the miles and will be equally at home at a trail centre. 29er, 650B, steel, ally, maybe even carbon at a push, full sus or hardtail, I'll consider them all!

I'd avoid Specialized, Trek, Cube, Giant etc not because I'm a massive bike snob but I don't like giving money to big corporations on a purely ethical level (but mainly because I'm a massive bike snob and I want something different to my mates bikes). I'm aware that those brands named above offer some amazing bikes and have a loyal following, sorry if anyone's offended.

So thoughts and opinions...........GO!
Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I suggest a mountain bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Canyon Lux?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Sounds like you need one of these, http://www.starlingcycles.com/murmur-29/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wait for the Solaris. (see my sig)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    what about a production privee shan n05 full suss frame? that is something different looks nice in yellow colour.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Expanding on my post slightly - I am totally in love with my Solaris. It was bought on a friend's recommendation (he has a Soul, a BFe and replaced my XL frame with an L) to replace another steel frame that I wasn't that keen on. I built it up cheaply, using stuff that I've had for years on various hardtail frames and that is much more "robust" than your usual XC stuff, 1x10 and it's been magnificent. The ride is pliant enough, the angles great for a bit of fun downhill whilst still being fine (not too light on the nose) for climbing. It's a great allrounder.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • robmanic1
    :D Thanks for the replies chaps, very grateful.

Yes cooldad, a mountain bike crossed my mind thanks!
    Canyon's a bit mainstream for me I think.
    The Starling is probably way to much bike for me .
    (although it is a thing of beauty).
    The Shan, again I think I'd be "over-biked".
    Looking like a bit if a wait for the Solaris (6 weeks) might have to hang it out.
    Unless anyone wants to throw anything else in the mix?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• swod1
    What about a Ragley blue pig? Stanton slackline? not sure of anything else you may like.
  • Expanding on my post slightly

There's a euphamism.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • robmanic1
    Bluepigs look like good bikes but not keen on the yellow swod1.

Nice eupho kernel :D

• swod1
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Bluepigs look like good bikes but not keen on the yellow swod1.

Nice eupho kernel :D

i thought they were blue as i looked the frames up and saw a blue and white one must have been last years model.